Wheeling Island Historic District facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Wheeling Island Historic District
Wheeling Island, December 2006
|Location||Roughly bounded by Stone, Front, North, Ontario, Erie and Wabash Sts., Wheeling, West Virginia|
|Area||370 acres (150 ha)|
|Architectural style||Bungalow/craftsman, Italianate, Queen Anne|
|NRHP reference No.||92000320|
|Added to NRHP||April 2, 1992|
Wheeling Island Historic District is a national historic district located on Wheeling Island in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia. The district includes 1,110 contributing buildings, 5 contributing sites, 2 contributing structures, and 3 contributing objects. It is a largely residential district consisting of two-story, frame detached dwellings built in the mid- to late-19th and early-20th century, including the Irwin-Brues House (1853) and a number of houses on Zane Street. The houses are representative of a number of popular architectural styles including Bungalow, Italianate, Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival. Notable non-residential contributing properties include the Exposition Building (1924), Thompson United Methodist Church (1913-1915), Madison School (1916), firehouse (1930-1931), the Bridgeport Bridge (1893), the Aetnaville Bridge (1891), "The Marina," Wheeling Island Baseball Park, and "Belle Island Park." It includes the separately listed Wheeling Suspension Bridge, Harry C. and Jessie F. Franzheim House, and John McLure House.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
All of the following are located in Wheeling, Ohio County, WV:
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. WV-183, "Irwin-Brues House, 201 North Front Street", 7 photos, 8 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. WV-271, "174 Zane Street (House)", 10 photos, 4 data pages, 3 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-272, "176 Zane Street (House)", 6 photos, 4 data pages, 4 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-273, "178 Zane Street (House)", 5 photos, 4 data pages, 3 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-274, "180 Zane Street (House)", 6 photos, 5 data pages, 4 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-275, "182 Zane Street (House)", 9 photos, 5 data pages, 5 photo caption pages
- HABS No. WV-276, "184 Zane Street (House)", 7 photos, 5 data pages, 4 photo caption pages
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. WV-2, "Wheeling Suspension Bridge, Spanning East channel of Ohio River at U.S. Route 40", 56 photos, 10 color transparencies, 4 measured drawings, 31 data pages, 5 photo caption pages
- HAER No. WV-25, "Bridgeport Bridge, Spanning West Channel of Ohio River, U.S. Route 40", 28 photos, 3 measured drawings, 2 data pages, 6 photo caption pages
Wheeling Island Historic District Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.