Allan A facts for kids
He received his PhD in zoology at Arizona State University and taught a long-running course on natural history of California University of California, Irvine. He is emeritus professor of ecology in Fullerton College. He teaches classes for the Desert Institute of the Joshua Tree National Park Association.
An accomplished nature photographer, he has provided the photographs to illustrate his books and he has received two awards for his images of California Gray Whales. A lover of the outdoors, he has traveled, hiked, and photographed all over the world. He has been the naturalist on many shipboard excursions including trips to Iceland, Greenland, Russia, Alaska, the Arctic and the Antarctic, the lagoons of Baja California, the South Pacific, and the Caribbean. As a biology professor on the Semester at Sea program he has three times traveled around the world teaching marine biology and ecology. He was the coordinator of Global Studies on the Spring ‘09 voyage of the Semester at Sea program.
- The herpetofauna of the San Gabriel Mountains, Los Angeles County, California (1976)
- A Natural History of California (1995)
- Natural History of the Islands of California (2003)
- Terrestrial Vegetation of California (2007), editor with Michael Barbour and Todd Keeler-Wolf
- Wild and Beautiful: A Natural History of the Open Spaces in Orange County (2013)
Allan A Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.