Amersham Martyrs Memorial facts for kids
It was established in 1931 by The Protestant Alliance. The memorial was unveiled by a Mrs L. R. Raine, a direct descendant of martyr Thomas Harding, who is commemorated on the memorial. It is located near the Rectory or Parsonage Woods opposite Ruccles Field. Access is from a footpath from or a separate footpath from Station Road.
At the unveiling of the memorial in 1931 the assembled crowd was exhorted by a speaker to maintain "Protestant King on a Protestant throne and be ruled by a Protestant parliament". The chairman of the Protestant Alliance, Major Richard Rigg, delivered a speech at the unveiling of the memorial and the hymn "For All the Saints" was sung. In his 2019 book Sacred and Secular Martyrdom in Britain and Ireland since 1914, John Wolffe placed the creation of the memorial and others to martyrs in the context of memorials created in the aftermath of the First World War and their accompanying militaristic imagery.
A play about the martyrs, The Life and time of the Martyrs of Amersham and the Community in Which they Lived was staged by the local community in Amersham in March 2016.
- ARMY OF
- IN THE SHALLOW OF DEPRESSION AT
- A SPOT 100 YARDS LEFT OF THIS
- MONUMENT SEVEN PROTESTANTS, SIX MEN
- AND ONE WOMAN WERE BURNED TO DEATH
- AT THE STAKE. THEY DIED FOR THE
- PRINCIPLES OF RELIGIOUS LIBERTY,
- FOR THE RIGHT TO READ AND INTERPRET
- THE HOLY SCRIPTURES AND TO WORSHIP
- GOD ACCORDING TO THEIR CONSCIENCES
- AS REVEALED THROUGH GOD'S HOLY WORD
- THEIR NAMES SHALL LIVE FOR EVER
- WILLIAM TYLESWORTH BURNED 1506
- (JOAN CLARKE, HIS MARRIED DAUGHTER, WAS
- COMPELLED TO LIGHT THE FAGGOTS TO BURN HER FATHER)
- THOMAS BARNARD BURNED 1521
- JAMES MORDEN BURNED 1521
- JOHN SCRIVENER BURNED 1521
- ROBERT RAVE BURNED 1521
- THOMAS HOLMES BURNED 1521
- JOAN NORMAN BURNED 1521
- THE FOLLOWING MEN, WORSHIPPERS AT AMERSHAM, WERE MARTYRED IN OTHER PLACES
- ROBERT COSIN
- OF GREAT MISSENDEN BURNED BUCKINGHAM 1506
- THOMAS CHASE,
- STRANGLED AT WOBURN BUCKS
- HIS BODY WAS BURIED AT NORLAND WOODS 1514
- THOMAS MAN
- BURNED AT SMITHFIELD 1518
- THOMAS HARDING
- BURNED AT CHESHAM 1532
- ERECTED 1931 BY THE SUBSCRIBERS OF THE PROTESTANT ALLIANCE
- (HENRY FOWLER, GENERAL SECRETARY)
- AND BY THE GENEROSITY OF
- MRS E.M. ROWCROFT.
Amersham Martyrs Memorial Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.