Andy Stanton facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Andy Stanton in Waterstones, Piccadilly, London in December 2018
|Born||Andy Joel Stanton
14 November 1973
|Notable works||Mr Gum series|
Andy Joel Stanton (born 14 November 1973) is an English children's writer. He grew up in the London suburbs of Harrow and Pinner and attended the Latymer School in Hammersmith. He lives in North London. Stanton is best known for his 'Mr Gum' book series, by which he made a popular contribution to contemporary children's literature.
Stanton has written nine books in the Mr Gum series:
- You're a Bad Man, Mr Gum! (2006) – also special edition with stickers and more
- Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire (2007)
- Mr Gum and the Goblins (2007)
- Mr Gum and the Power Crystals (2008)
- Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear (2008)
- What's for Dinner, Mr Gum? (2009)
- Mr Gum and the Cherry Tree (2010)
- Mr Gum and the Secret Hideout (2011)
- Mr Gum and the Hound of Lamonic Bibber (2011) – also special edition 100 stickers
The Mr Gum books are published by Egmont Books in the UK. Additionally Stanton has written The Story of Matthew Buzzington, published by Barrington Stoke, and other books. His writing is influenced by Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton.
Andy Stanton lives in North London. He studied English at Oxford University but was expelled. He has been a stand-up comedian, a film script reader, a cartoonist, an NHS lacky and much else. He has many interests, but best of all he likes cartoons, books and music (even jazz). One day he'd like to live in New York or Berlin or one of those places because he's got fantasies of Bohemia. His favourite expression is 'Good evening' and his favourite word is 'captain'.
The Mr Gum audiobooks were Produced and Directed by David Tyler (UK) for BBC Audio.
- You're a Bad Man Mr Gum. 2006.
- Mr Gum and The Biscuit Billionaire. 2010.
- Mr Gum & The Goblins. 2010.
The Mr Gum books are set in the fictitious town of Lamonic Bibber. The town has its own newspaper, The Lamonical Chronicle, which features on the Mr Gum website. The newspaper's tag-line is "Lamonic Bibber's second best and only paper".
They were recorded with Kate Winslet narrating in 2012.
Stanton wrote the lyrics and book for Mr Gum and the Dancing Bear - The Musical! which premiered at the National Theatre in July 2019.
Andy Stanton Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.