Maria Magdalena of Austria facts for kids(Redirected from Archduchess Maria Maddalena of Austria)
|Maria Maddalena of Austria|
|Grand Duchess of Tuscany|
|Tenure||17 February 1609 – 28 February 1621|
7 October 1589|
|Died||1 November 1631
|Spouse||Cosimo II de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany|
|Issue||Ferdinando II, Grand Duke of Tuscany
Cardinal Gian Carlo
Margherita, Duchess of Parma
Mattias, Governor of Siena
Anna, Archduchess of Austria
Leopold, Governor of Siena
|House||House of Habsburg
House of Medici
|Father||Charles II, Archduke of Austria|
|Mother||Maria Anna of Bavaria|
Maria Magdalena of Austria or Maria Maddalena of Austria (7 October 1589 – 1 November 1631) was Grand Duchess of Tuscany from her husband's accession in 1609 until his death in 1621. With him, she had eight children, including a duchess of Parma, a grand duke of Tuscany, and an archduchess of Further Austria. She was the youngest daughter of Charles II, Archduke of Inner Austria, and his wife Maria Anna of Bavaria. During the minority of her son, Grand Duke Ferdinando II, she and her mother-in-law Christina of Lorraine acted as regents. She died in Padua.
Family and children
- Maria Cristina de' Medici (24 August 1609 – 9 August 1632) died unmarried.
- Ferdinando II de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany (14 July 1610 – 23 May 1670), who married Vittoria della Rovere (7 February 1622 – 6 March 1694) and had issue.
- Gian Carlo de' Medici (24 July 1611 – 23 January 1663) made Cardinal in 1644.
- Margherita de' Medici (31 May 1612 – 6 February 1679) married Odoardo Farnese, Duke of Parma and had issue.
- Mattias de' Medici (9 May 1613 – 14 October, 1667) Governor of Siena.
- Francesco de' Medici (16 October 1614 – 25 July 1634) died unmarried.
- Anna de' Medici (21 July 1616 – 11 September 1676) who married Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Austria (1628-1662)
- Leopoldo de' Medici (6 November 1617 – 10 November 1675) made Cardinal in 1667.
Maria Magdalena of Austria Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.