Arrondissements of the Landes department facts for kids
There are 2 arrondissements in the Landes department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
The arrondissements of Landes are:
- Arrondissement of Dax, (subprefecture: Dax), with 153 communes.
- Arrondissement of Mont-de-Marsan, (prefecture of the Landes department: Mont-de-Marsan), with 178 communes.
Since its creation, the Landes department has had few changes:
- 1790 : creation of the Landes department with four districts: Dax, Mont-de-Marsan, Saint-Sever and Tartas; the capital was Mont-de-Marsan
- 1800 : creation of the arrondissements: Mont-de-Marsan, Dax, Saint-Sever
- 1926 : the arrondissement of Saint-Sever is eliminated and integrated into the remaining two arrondissements
Arrondissements of the Landes department Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.