- This page was last modified on 16 October 2023, at 15:53.
Art & Language facts for kids
Art & Language is a conceptual artists' collaboration founded around 1967 in the United Kingdom by Terry Atkinson (b. 1939), David Bainbridge (b. 1941), Michael Baldwin (b. 1945) and Harold Hurrell (b. 1940). The name of the group was derived from their journal, Art-Language The Journal of conceptual art. In their text-works, they created conceptual art as part of their discussions.
Art & Language is at the origin of conceptual art and their work was an important influence on its development.
Past members and associates
- Terry Atkinson
- David Bainbridge
- Kathryn Bigelow
- Ian Burn
- Sarah Charlesworth
- Michael Corris
- Preston Heller
- Graham Howard
- Harold Hurrell
- Joseph Kosuth
- Christine Kozlov
- Nigel Lendon
- Andrew Menard
- Philip Pilkington
- Neil Powell
- David Rushton
- Terry Smith
- Mayo Thompson
Terry Atkinson was Nominated in 1985 for the Turner Prize.
Art & Language was nominated in 1986 for the Turner Prize.
In March 2011, Philippe Méaille loaned 800 artworks of Art & Language to the Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA). In June 2015, the Conseil départemental de Maine-et-Loire and Philippe Méaille signed a long term lease agreement for the Chateau de Montsoreau to promote contemporary art in the Loire Valley.
- Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Arts Council of Great Britain, United Kingdom.
- Centre Pompidou, Paris, France.
- Centro de Arte Contemporàneo de Malaga, Malaga, Spain.
- Château de Montsoreau-Museum of Contemporary Art, Montsoreau, France.
- Espoo Museum of Modern Art, Espoo, Finland.
- Fonds National d'Art Contemporain, Paris, France.
- FRAC Haute Normandie, Sotteville-lès-Rouen, France.
- FRAC Languedoc Roussillon, Montpellier, France.
- FRAC Nord Pas de Calais, Dunkerque, France.
- Grand-Hornu, Museum of Contemporary Arts, Belgium.
- Laguna Gallery of Contemporary Art, Laguna Beach, CA, USA.
- Les Abattoirs, Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Toulouse, France.
- Lille Métropole Museum of Modern, Contemporary and Outsider Art, Villeneuve d'Ascq, France.
- MACBA, Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art, Barcelona, Spain.
- MAMCO, Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Geneva, Switzerland].
- Migros Museum of Contemporary Art, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Musée d'Art Moderne (Saint-Etienne), Saint-Priest-en-Jarez, France.
- Museum fur Angewande Kunst, Vienna, Austria.
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung, Vienna, Austria.
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami, FL, USA.
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY, USA.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, Australia.
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia.
- Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst, Ghent, Belgium.
- Tate Modern, London, United Kingdom.
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London, United Kingdom.
In Spanish: Art & Language para niños