Clayton, Iowa facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Clayton, Iowa
|• Total||0.49 sq mi (1.27 km2)|
|• Land||0.49 sq mi (1.27 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
| • Estimate
|• Density||87.8/sq mi (33.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0455448|
Clayton is a city in Clayton County, Iowa, United States. The population was 43 at the 2010 census, down from 55 at the 2000 census. Clayton is located directly on the Mississippi River and is only accessible by a very steep road. Many people have summer homes in Clayton due to its proximity to the Mississippi River.
Clayton was founded in 1849.
Clayton is located at(42.902929, -91.148165).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.49 square miles (1.27 km2), all of it land.
|Source: and Iowa Data Center
As of the census of 2010, there were 43 people, 28 households, and 14 families residing in the city. The population density was 87.8 inhabitants per square mile (33.9/km2). There were 84 housing units at an average density of 171.4 per square mile (66.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White.
There were 28 households of which 3.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 50.0% were non-families. 50.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.54 and the average family size was 2.07.
The median age in the city was 59.3 years. 2.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 0% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 13.9% were from 25 to 44; 51.2% were from 45 to 64; and 32.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.5% male and 53.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 55 people, 32 households, and 19 families residing in the city. The population density was 99.8 people per square mile (38.6/km²). There were 64 housing units at an average density of 116.2 per square mile (44.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 100.00% White.
There were 32 households out of which 9.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.1% were married couples living together, 3.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.6% were non-families. 40.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.72 and the average family size was 2.11.
In the city, the population was spread out with 5.5% under the age of 18, 1.8% from 18 to 24, 7.3% from 25 to 44, 56.4% from 45 to 64, and 29.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 56 years. For every 100 females there were 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,250, and the median income for a family was $40,833. Males had a median income of $30,625 versus $40,625 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,214. None of the population and none of the families were below the poverty line.
Clayton, Iowa Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.