Crashbox facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsCrashbox
|Created by||Eamon Harrington
|Directed by||Dave Thomas|
|Voices of||Maggie Baird
S. Scott Bullock
Arif S. Kinchen
|Country of origin||Canada
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52|
|Executive producer(s)||Adam Shaheen
|Camera setup||Single Camera|
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Planet Grande Pictures
Cuppa Coffee Animation
|Original network||HBO Family|
|Picture format||480i (4:3 SDTV)|
|Original release||February 1, 1999– April 1, 2000|
Crashbox was one of the original programs for the relaunch of the HBO Family channel in February 1999. Although it has never been released on physical media like DVD or VHS, it still reruns on HBO Family and is found in various streaming services.
The show takes place in the insides of a game computer where green game cartridges (which are sculpted out of clay) are created and loaded by rusty tin robots- occasionally with short sketches of them "repairing" damaged games. The format of each episode is The Electric Company-esque, with sketches not connecting to each other nor following a sequential plot. Each half-hour episode consists of seven 2-to-5-minute educational games, and occasionally an eighth bonus game.
The following are the games of the show listed in alphabetical order:
- Captain Bones - A pirate skeleton named Captain Bones has the viewers solve math problems and other types of puzzles by having his bones form the numbers or objects and having the viewers move one of his bones to pull it off. Throughout the game, Captain Bones will openly mock and demean the viewers using several pirate-esque insults, eventually becoming so irate that he demands you to leave his sight, moving on to another game.
- Dirty Pictures - In a museum that is closed for cleaning, a maid dusts off a picture with the elderly security guard holding up cards that give the hints of the person in the picture. This is a non-speaking segment.
- Distraction News - A cardboard cutout newswoman named Dora Smarmy tells the viewers about certain things as the viewers watch to learn about them while not getting distracted of the things that appear during the broadcast.
- Ear We Are* - A nervous, stubborn and grumpy left ear and a brash, goofy and oblivious right ear describe sounds for the viewers to guess what event or thing they refer to. The segment only appears in Episodes #1-25.
- Eddie Bull - Eddie Bull gives viewers three hints at what animal at the Walla Walla Washington Zoo ate him. Once the animal is identified, Eddie is regurgitated and the game then ends.
- Haunted House Party - A haunted house party hosted by an unseen Horrid One has ghosts attend as the viewer must identify the historical figure "ghost of honor" by listening to clues about them. When all the clues have been said, the Horrid One recaps them to the viewers before the historical figure is revealed in cardboard cutout form after a bright flash of lightning. In Episodes #40-52, the narrator doesn't speak until the gargoyles open the gate. And also, when the "mysterious mystery guest" is finally shown, the mouth movement is different from the first season.
- Lens McCracken* - An noir-styled detective named Lens McCracken develops zoomed-in and blurry pictures from a case he's working on, that viewers must solve by figuring out what the full image would be. The photos are then also be solved by his dark room's computer called the Solutionator one by one, and detective ends the segment by piecing together a story from the solved photos. The segment only appears in Episodes #4-38.
- Mug Shots - Detective Verity has the viewers look at the interrogated testimony from the photographed suspects of a crime where they must find out who is telling the truth and which of the other three are lying as they each state where they were when the crime was happening. The viewer solves the puzzle by spotting the contradictions or factual inaccuracies in the testimonies. Each of the suspects are shown in live action, but dubbed over by a different actor. When the innocent one is identified, the game ends.
- Paige and Sage* - An unseen valley girl talks through the pictures of identical Barbie doll twins Paige and Sage, where viewers must spot the differences in the pictures. The segment only appears in Episodes #3-19.
- Poop or Scoop - The game's announcer gives facts about animals where they must guess if they are true or false.
- Psycho Math - A robot named Professor Rocket gives the viewers long math problems for them to solve with countable pictures or descriptions of numbered things- such as the number of members on a baseball team qualifying for the number "9".
- Radio Scramble - An anthropomorphic microphone named DJ Jumpin' Johnny Jumble has the viewers unscramble a word that is the title of the song that he plays at the KBOX radio station. He will sometimes also deliver traffic, sports, or weather reports that also are anagram puzzles.
- Revolting Slob - A puppet sketch where a polite female voice uses the messy Revolting Slob to describe a three-choice answer vocabulary question. The sketch ends with another word of the final question having the Revolting Slob explode with the female narrator stating that "No slobs were harmed in the making of this show." In Episodes #2-39, the revolting slob is grumpy and gluttonous, and the scenery takes place in his living room. But in Episodes #40-52, the revolting slob is silly and exuberant, and the scenery takes place in his kitchen. He always does a revolting action in each segment.
- Riddle Snake - An unseen raj reads the riddles from a riddle snake that the viewers must solve.
- Sketch Pad - A beatnik named Sketch Pad draws pictures of some things happening in a riddle-like scenario, as the viewers must solve the reason why these specific things are happening. The goal of the game is to try to guess the event or outcome that Sketch Pad didn't mention.
- Ten Seconds - An announcer gives the viewers 10 seconds to solve each of four in Episodes #1-39 or five in Episodes #40-51 rebus puzzles and guess the answer. At the end of the game, the announcer signs off, moving to another game.
- Think Tank - Inside a fish tank, a Jamaican submarine captain named Captain Bob has the viewers figure out what each of the three things that appear have in common.
- Word Shake* - A live-action French-accented cook named Chef Word Shake in a black-and-white movie setting demonstrates two words that are to be used by the viewers to combine into one word or phrase; such as the words "drag" and "in" to form "dragon" and the words "disturb" and "honey" to make "the Easter Bunny." The sketch usually ends with the kitchen exploding with flour. The segment only appears in Episodes #2-25.
Near the end of each episode, the robots recap and review most of the games to the viewers in a "Crashbox Rewind". Segments marked with an asterisk (*) do not appear in the second season.
|Captain Bones||Captain Bones||S. Scott Bullock|
|Distraction News||Dora Smarmy||Mari Weiss|
|Ear We Are||Left Ear||John Watkin|
|Right Ear||Alan Schlaifer|
|Eddie Bull||Eddie Bull||Ritchie Montgomery|
|Haunted House Party||Horrid One||Alan Schlaifer|
|Lens McCracken||Lens McCracken||S. Scott Bullock|
|Mug Shots||Detective Verity||Maggie Baird|
|Paige and Sage||Valley Girl||Dawn Maxey|
|Poop or Scoop||Announcer||Danny Wells|
|Psycho Math||Professor Rocket||Joseph Motiki, Arif S. Kinchen|
|Radio Scramble||"Jumpin'" Johnny Jumble||Peter Lurie|
|Revolting Slob||Polite Female Voice||Edie McClurg|
|Revolting Slob||Michael McShane||Dub of a puppet controlled by Tom Vandenburg and Johan Vandergun|
|Riddle Snake||Riddle Snake Raj||Veena Bidasha|
|Sketch Pad||Sketch Pad||Greg Eagles|
|Ten Seconds||Announcer||Alan Schlaifer|
|Think Tank||Captain Bob||Greg Eagles|
|Word Shake||Chef||John Watkin||Dub of unknown live-action actor|
|1||Haunted House Party||Harry Houdini||Carlos Alazraqui|
|Mug Shots||Muscles Stankowski|
|Stanley "Deuces" Stankowski|
|2||Haunted House Party||Paul Revere||John Watkin|
|5||Haunted House Party||William Shakespeare||John Watkin|
|6||Mug Shots||Sleepy Eyes McGee|
|Mickey "The Goat" O'Grady|
|10||Haunted House Party||Benjamin Franklin||Carlos Alazraqui|
|11||Mug Shots||Dr. Cleanpick||Alan Schlaifer|
|15||Haunted House Party||Richard Nixon||Carlos Alazraqui|
|16||Mug Shots||Viola Hardcase|
|Bass Henderson||Greg Eagles||Credited in episode 19|
|17||Haunted House Party||Abraham Lincoln||John Watkin|
|18||Haunted House Party||Eleanor Roosevelt||Maggie Baird|
|18||Haunted House Party||Coquettish Woman||Maggie Baird|
|19||Mug Shots||Honey Lemon|
|20||Haunted House Party||Albert Einstein||John Watkin|
|Mug Shots||"Lug Nut" Muldoon|
|Sammy "Sixtoes" Bixby||Greg Eagles|
|Larry "The Lump" Coolridge|
|21||Mug Shots||Lois Carnegie|
|Morgan "Applesauce" Pike|
|Mellon Ball Jones|
|22||Haunted House Party||Christopher Columbus||Carlos Alazraqui|
|23||Haunted House Party||Jackie Robinson||Greg Eagles|
|Mug Shots||Dean DeLuca|
|25||Mug Shots||Baby Face MacGuire|
|Leo "The Lion" Lawrence|
|Danger Jones||Greg Eagles|
|Slippery Fingers Ferguson|
|26||Haunted House Party||Leonardo da Vinci||S. Scott Bullock|
|40||Haunted House Party||Thomas Jefferson||Dee Bradley Baker|
|41||Mug Shots||Mildred Postley|
|42||Haunted House Party||Noah||Peter Lurie|
|Mug Shots||Buttons Ha-Ha|
|43||Haunted House Party||Cleopatra||Veena Bidasha|
|46||Mug Shots||Montgomery Cleft|
|Sir Percival St. John|
|45||Haunted House Party||Isaac Newton||S. Scott Bullock|
|46||Haunted House Party||Julius Caesar||S. Scott Bullock|
|47||Haunted House Party||Amelia Earhart||Christy Noonan|
|Mug Shots||"Bean Ball" Ballou|
|"Lumber" Jack Lang|
|49||Mug Shots||Dusty Rhodes|
|50||Mug Shots||Gertrude Simsbury|
|51||Haunted House Party||George Washington||S. Scott Bullock|
|Southern Lady||Hope Kaplan-Biller|
|Mug Shots||Noseless Calhoun||Dee Bradley Baker|
|"Three Eyes" Oppenheimer|
|Harry "The Hairy" Huang|
|"Big Noggin" Simms|
|52||Haunted House Party||Henry Ford||Dee Bradley Baker|
|Episode||Airdate||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Game 4||Game 5||Game 6||Game 7||Game 8|
|1||Feb 1, 1999||Distraction News||Sketch Pad||Psycho Math||Ear We Are||Haunted House Party||Eddie Bull||Ten Seconds||Riddle Snake|
|2||Feb 2, 1999||Radio Scramble||Captain Bones||Poop or Scoop||Ten Seconds||Haunted House Party||Revolting Slob||Word Shake||—|
|3||Feb 3, 1999||Mug Shots||Distraction News||Psycho Math||Ear We Are||Paige and Sage||Eddie Bull||Ten Seconds||Riddle Snake|
|4||Feb 4, 1999||Poop or Scoop||Captain Bones||Distraction News||Paige and Sage||Think Tank||Dirty Pictures||Lens McCracken||—|
|5||Feb 5, 1999||Haunted House Party||Revolting Slob||Think Tank||Poop or Scoop||Ear We Are||Psycho Math||Ten Seconds||—|
|6||Feb 6, 1999||Radio Scramble||Eddie Bull||Captain Bones||Sketch Pad||Mug Shots||Think Tank||Ear We Are||—|
|7||Feb 7, 1999||Lens McCracken||Captain Bones||Revolting Slob||Dirty Pictures||Sketch Pad||Poop or Scoop||Ten Seconds||—|
|8||Feb 13, 1999||Lens McCracken||Distraction News||Sketch Pad||Dirty Pictures||Eddie Bull||Psycho Math||Riddle Snake||Ten Seconds|
|9||Feb 14, 1999||Radio Scramble||Distraction News||Psycho Math||Dirty Pictures||Lens McCracken||Eddie Bull||Ear We Are||—|
|10||Feb 20, 1999||Radio Scramble||Eddie Bull||Sketch Pad||Paige and Sage||Haunted House Party||Psycho Math||Lens McCracken||Riddle Snake|
|11||Feb 21, 1999||Mug Shots||Sketch Pad||Psycho Math||Dirty Pictures||Distraction News||Riddle Snake||Word Shake||—|
|12||Feb 27, 1999||Revolting Slob||Think Tank||Poop or Scoop||Riddle Snake||Psycho Math||Paige and Sage||Lens McCracken||—|
|13||Feb 28, 1999||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Think Tank||Poop or Scoop||Ear We Are||Psycho Math||Dirty Pictures||Lens McCracken||—|
|14||Mar 6, 1999||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Think Tank||Poop or Scoop||Riddle Snake||Psycho Math||Dirty Pictures||Paige and Sage||—|
|15||Mar 7, 1999||Captain Bones||Distraction News||Haunted House Party||Radio Scramble||Riddle Snake||Eddie Bull||Lens McCracken||Paige and Sage|
|16||Mar 13, 1999||Captain Bones||Distraction News||Mug Shots||Ear We Are||Poop or Scoop||Paige and Sage||Riddle Snake||—|
|17||Mar 14, 1999||Radio Scramble||Revolting Slob||Poop or Scoop||Ten Seconds||Captain Bones||Haunted House Party||Paige and Sage||—|
|18||Mar 20, 1999||Think Tank||Distraction News||Radio Scramble||Haunted House Party||Poop or Scoop||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Lens McCracken||—|
|19||Mar 21, 1999||Think Tank||Mug Shots||Captain Bones||Paige and Sage||Eddie Bull||Word Shake||Riddle Snake||—|
|20||Mar 27, 1999||Radio Scramble||Mug Shots||Sketch Pad||Psycho Math||Haunted House Party||Ten Seconds||Word Shake||—|
|21||Mar 28, 1999||Eddie Bull||Radio Scramble||Dirty Pictures||Mug Shots||Ear We Are||Psycho Math||Word Shake||—|
|22||Apr 3, 1999||Haunted House Party||Sketch Pad||Radio Scramble||Revolting Slob||Riddle Snake||Eddie Bull||Word Shake||—|
|23||Apr 4, 1999||Mug Shots||Word Shake||Haunted House Party||Lens McCracken||Poop or Scoop||Captain Bones||Riddle Snake||—|
|24||Apr 10, 1999||Radio Scramble||Sketch Pad||Eddie Bull||Word Shake||Captain Bones||Dirty Pictures||Lens McCracken||—|
|25||Apr 11, 1999||Haunted House Party||Think Tank||Ear We Are||Mug Shots||Poop or Scoop||Word Shake||Riddle Snake||—|
|26||Apr 17, 1999||Revolting Slob||Haunted House Party||Eddie Bull||Captain Bones||Radio Scramble||Ten Seconds||Lens McCracken||—|
|27||Aug 1, 1999||Distraction News||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Sketch Pad||Haunted House Party||Poop or Scoop||Ten Seconds||Mug Shots||Riddle Snake|
|28||Aug 7, 1999||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Revolting Slob||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Haunted House Party||Poop or Scoop||Lens McCracken||Riddle Snake|
|29||Aug 8, 1999||Haunted House Party||Revolting Slob||Think Tank (Not on Rewinds)||Poop or Scoop||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Ten Seconds||Mug Shots||Riddle Snake|
|30||Aug 14, 1999||Revolting Slob||Psycho Math (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Haunted House Party||Radio Scramble||Ten Seconds||Poop or Scoop||Riddle Snake|
|31||Aug 15, 1999||Radio Scramble||Revolting Slob||Poop or Scoop||Dirty Pictures||Mug Shots||Psycho Math||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Ten Seconds|
|32||Aug 21, 1999||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Revolting Slob||Poop or Scoop||Haunted House Party||Distraction News||Ten Seconds||Think Tank||Riddle Snake|
|33||Aug 22, 1999||Revolting Slob||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Dirty Pictures (Not on Rewinds)||Poop or Scoop||Psycho Math (Not on Rewinds)||Think Tank||Riddle Snake|
|34||Aug 28, 1999||Mug Shots||Distraction News||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Dirty Pictures||Sketch Pad||Eddie Bull||Lens McCracken||Riddle Snake|
|35||Aug 29, 1999||Radio Scramble||Distraction News||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Haunted House Party||Captain Bones||Revolting Slob||Eddie Bull (Not on Rewinds)||Riddle Snake|
|36||Sep 4, 1999||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Mug Shots||Sketch Pad||Psycho Math||Haunted House Party||Radio Scramble||Poop or Scoop||Ten Seconds|
|37||Sep 5, 1999||Think Tank||Mug Shots||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Haunted House Party||Eddie Bull||Lens McCracken||Ten Seconds|
|38||Sep 11, 1999||Mug Shots||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Dirty Pictures (Not on Rewinds)||Psycho Math||Think Tank||Eddie Bull||Lens McCracken|
|39||Sep 12, 1999||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Psycho Math||Dirty Pictures||Poop or Scoop||Radio Scramble||Ten Seconds||Riddle Snake|
|Episode||Airdate||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Game 4||Game 5||Game 6||Game 7||Game 8|
|40||Feb 19, 2000||Revolting Slob||Distraction News||Psycho Math||Ten Seconds||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Poop or Scoop (Not on Rewinds)||Haunted House Party||Riddle Snake|
|41||Feb 20, 2000||Distraction News||Psycho Math||Mug Shots||Think Tank||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Dirty Pictures||Radio Scramble||—|
|42||Feb 26, 2000||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Revolting Slob||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Psycho Math||Haunted House Party||Poop or Scoop||Riddle Snake||—|
|43||Feb 27, 2000||Revolting Slob||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Sketch Pad||Poop or Scoop||Haunted House Party||Radio Scramble||Ten Seconds||—|
|44||Mar 4, 2000||Distraction News||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Psycho Math||Eddie Bull||Think Tank||Dirty Pictures (Not on Rewinds)||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Ten Seconds|
|45||Mar 5, 2000||Distraction News||Captain Bones||Revolting Slob (Not on Rewinds)||Poop or Scoop||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Haunted House Party||Ten Seconds||—|
|46||Mar 11, 2000||Haunted House Party||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Eddie Bull||Think Tank||Psycho Math||Radio Scramble||Riddle Snake||—|
|47||Mar 12, 2000||Haunted House Party||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Eddie Bull||Psycho Math||Ten Seconds||—|
|48||Mar 18, 2000||Revolting Slob||Poop or Scoop||Distraction News||Captain Bones||Dirty Pictures||Radio Scramble||Riddle Snake||—|
|49||Mar 19, 2000||Mug Shots (Not on Rewinds)||Sketch Pad||Radio Scramble||Dirty Pictures||Psycho Math||Poop or Scoop||Riddle Snake||—|
|50||Mar 25, 2000||Mug Shots||Revolting Slob||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Distraction News||Eddie Bull||Think Tank (Not on Rewinds)||Dirty Pictures||Riddle Snake|
|51||Mar 26, 2000||Mug Shots||Psycho Math||Sketch Pad (Not on Rewinds)||Radio Scramble||Haunted House Party||Eddie Bull||Ten Seconds||—|
|52||Apr 1, 2000||Revolting Slob||Haunted House Party||Poop or Scoop||Distraction News||Captain Bones (Not on Rewinds)||Sketch Pad||Think Tank (Not on Rewinds)||—|
Crashbox Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.