Everything as a service facts for kids
Everything as a service(EaaS, XaaS, *aaS) is a concept of being able to call up re-usable, fine-grained software components across a network. It is a subset of cloud computing. The most common and successful example is software as a service (SaaS), but the term as a service has been associated and used with many core components of cloud computing including communication, infrastructure, data and platforms.
Offerings tagged with the as a service suffix have a number of common attributes, including:
- Low barriers to entry is a common method of offerings, with services typically being available to or targeting consumers and small businesses.
- Little or no capital expenditure as infrastructure is owned by the provider.
- Massive scalability is also common, though this is not an absolute requirement and many of the offerings have yet to achieve large scale.
- Multitenancy enables resources (and costs) to be shared among many users.
- Device independence enables users to access systems regardless of what device they are using (e.g. PC, mobile,...etc.).
- Location independence allows users remote access to systems.
This kind of services can be divided into more specific types:
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Everything as a service Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.