Flinton, Pennsylvania facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Location of Flinton ZIP code area (16640) in Cambria County
Location of Cambria County in Pennsylvania
|Elevation||1,428 ft (435 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
It has an elevation of 1,428 feet (435 m) above sea level.
As of the census of 2000, there were 841 people, 312 households, and 243 families residing in Flinton's ZIP Code Tabulation Area. There were 506 housing units. The racial makeup of the borough was 99.5% White, 0.2% Black and African American, 0.1% American Indiana and Alaska Native, and 0.1% Asian (Korean). Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.1% of the population.
There were 312 households out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.9% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 16.3% of all households had individuals living along in them and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.00.
Population in the area was spread out with 26.0% under the age of 20, 4.4% from 20 to 24, 29% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.7 years. Of the population 18 years and over, 39.4% was male and 37.9% was female, for a total of 77.3% of the population 18 years and over. 73.6% of the population was 21 and over and 15.9% of the population was 65 and over.
The median income for a household in the area was $30,588, and the median income for a family was $34,107. Males had a median income of $28,393 versus $19,531 for females. The per capita income for the area was $12,502. About 8.4% of families were below the poverty line. ...end comment-->
Residents of Flinton may attend the local, public schools operated by Glendale School District which provides full day kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2014, the Glendale School District's enrollment was 851 students. In 2011, Glendale School District enrollment was 809 pupils. The District's enrollment was 863 pupils in 2005-06. Glendale School District operates two schools: Glendale Junior/Senior High School and Glendale Elementary School. In 2013, Glendale School District’s graduation rate was 93%.
In 2015, the Pittsburgh Business Times ranked Midd-West School District 371st out of 493 public schools for academic achievement of its pupils. In 2012, Glendale School District achieved Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) despite the low academic achievement at the high school.
High school aged students can attend the taxpayer funded Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center, for training in the building trades, auto mechanics, culinary arts, allied health careers and other areas. Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center is funded by a consortium of the eight sponsoring school districts, including Glendale School District. The GACTC is ISO 9001:2008 certified along with institutional accreditation through the Middle States Association of Secondary Schools.
Flinton residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 14 public cyber charter schools (in 2013) at no additional cost to the parents. The resident’s public school district is required to pay the charter school and cyber charter school tuition for residents who attend these public schools. The tuition rate that Glendale School District must pay was $10,103 in 2014. By Commonwealth law, if the District provides transportation for its own students, then the District must provide transportation to any school that lies within 10 miles of its borders. Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Central Intermediate Unit #10 provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region which includes Flinton. Early screening, special education services, speech and hearing therapy, autistic support, preschool classes and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements. Intermediate units receive taxpayer funding: through subsidies paid by member school districts; through direct charges to users for some services; through the successful application for state and federal competitive grants and through private grants.
Flinton, Pennsylvania Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.