Heart (band) facts for kids
Sisters Nancy (left) and Ann Wilson in 2007
|Origin||Seattle, Washington, USA and
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
|Genres||Rock, Hard rock, Pop rock, Folk rock|
|Years active||1973 – present|
|Labels||Mushroom, Portrait, Epic, Capitol, Sovereign Artists, Sony|
Mike Fisher, manager (1973-1979)
Heart is a rock band which started in Seattle in the 1960s. It became famous with the release of "Dreamboat Annie" in 1976 when the band-members were living in Vancouver.
Heart was started by Steve Fossen and brothers Roger and Mike Fisher in Seattle. Ann Wilson joined the band in Seattle in 1970. Nancy Wilson joined the band in 1974. From then, Ann and Nancy wrote almost all of the band's songs. From 1976, the band was very successful, and sold many millions of records.
Ann Wilson was the lead singer and sometimes played the flute. Roger Fisher played the lead guitar and sang. Steve Fossen played the bass guitar. Nancy Wilson played lots of different types of guitar and sang. Mike Fisher managed the band and also looked after the sound and the lights. In 1975 some extra people joined the band. Michael DeRosier played the drums. Howard Leese played lots of different instruments and stayed with the band until 1998.
The Fisher brothers left the band in 1979. Steve Fossen and Michael DeRosier left the band in 1982. Denny Carmassi played the drums, Mark Andes played the bass guitar, and Nancy Wilson played the lead guitar. The band did not do much in the 1990s, but Ann & Nancy started doing things again in the early 2000s. Since then, the band has made lots of appearances in public and on TV.
Their best known song is called Barracuda. It was written in 1977 by Ann and Nancy Wilson, Michael DeRosier, Sue Ennis (a friend of Ann and Nancy) and Roger Fisher. Some of the places it has been and used are:
- 2000 - the American TV series "Friends"
- 2000 - the American movie "Charlie's Angels"
- 2002 - the American TV series "King of the Hill"
- 2004 - the American TV series "The Sopranos"
- 2004 - the American TV series "Reno 911!"
- 2004 - the computer game "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas"
- 2005 - the live album A Radical Recital by the group "Rasputina"
- 2007 - the American movie "Shrek the Third" (The song is sung by "Fergie" from the "Black Eyed Peas")
- 2007 - the computer game "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock"
- 2008 - during a TV commercial for the Honda "Odyssey" car
Images for kids
Heart (band) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.