Jharkhandi cuisine facts for kids
Jharkhandi cuisine encompasses the cuisine of the Indian state of Jharkhand. Staple food of Jharkhand are rice, dal, vegetable and tubers. Common meals often consist of vegetables that are cooked in various ways, such as curried, fried, roasted and boiled. Traditional dishes of Jharkhand may not be available at restaurants. However, on a visit to a local village, one can get a chance to taste such exotic foods. Some dish preparations may be mild with a low oil and spice content, although pickles and festive dishes may have such characteristics.
Foods and dishes
- Chilka roti: It is popular roti in Jharkhand prepared using rice flour.
- Pittha: Pittha is made by boiled rice flour. It is prepared during festivals.
- Malpua: It is dish in Jharkhand which prepared in Holi festival.
- Arsa Roti: It is a sweet dish prepared during festivals. Rice flour and sugar or jaggery used in preparation.
- Khapra Roti :thick crepes made with rice or madia. The crepes are made without any oil or fat.
- Dhuska: A common food in Jharkhand is dhuska, which are deep fried rice flour pancakes that may be served with gram curry and potato.
- Aaru Sabzi : Made with a root vegetable found in Jharkhand only
- Maar Jhor : Herbs cooked in rice starch
- Chakor Jhor: A wild edible leafy vegetable, cooked in red rice soup
- Sanai Phool Bharta - It's a recipe from rural Jharkhand made of Sanai (Crotalaria juncea) flowers
- Moonj Ada - It is a spicy dal, cooked over a low flame with a dash of lemon and chilli for flavour.
- Dumbu - A rice dessert
- Litti Chokha: Bihari Cuisine also famous in some parts of the Jharkhand State.
- Tilkut: It is a sweet prepared with "pounded sesame-seed cookies made with jaggery batter or melted sugar."
- Thekua: It is a sweet prepared with whole-meal flour, jaggery and ghee, the latter of which is a type of clarified butter. It is prepared and consumed during the Chhath festival, which celebrates the Sun God.
- Sattu: Sattu is a common dish prepared with roasted chickpea flour that is prepared in various manners.
- Meat Salaan: A popular meat dish which consists of lamb curry and diced potato that is spiced with garam masala.
- Maduwa Khassi : smoked skin intact mutton served with rice.
- Spicy chicken: It is another common meat dish.
- Rohad Haku - It is a dish of fried fish. The fish is dried in the sun and then stir fried in oil. Lemon and vinegar are added to it to make it spicy.
- Mushroom: Rugra or Puttu is a type of edible mushroom grows during monsoon season which used for vegetable.
- Bamboo shoot: Bamboo shoots are used as vegetable in Jharkhand.
- Red Ant Chutney: It is dish made of mashed red ants and their eggs.
- Sweet Pan: it is popular paan in Jharkhand it taste very sweet most man eat types of pan but most eat the sweet pan.
- Dhudhru: Dhudhru is a dish made by urad and rice flour.
- Baara: Baara is a dish are deep fried urad flour pancakes served with potato curry.
An example of ghee, a type of clarified butter used in the preparation of various dishes
Sattu Paratha prepared using sattu and wheat flour
- Munga saag: Munga tree (Moringa oleifera) is an important tree in Jharkhand. Its leaf, flower and fruit are used as vegetable. Its leaves are used as a leafy vegetable or saag.
- Koinar Saag: The leaf of Koinar tree (Bauhinia variegata) used as vegetable.
- Putkal Saag - Sautéed leafy vegetable
Jharkhandi cuisine Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.