Johnny Dixon is a fictional American boy featured in a series of twelve children's gothic horror novels, 1983 to 1999, written by John Bellairs or his successor Brad Strickland. In each book, 12-year-old Johnny and his group of friends face and overcome evil forces usually bent on ending the world. Alternatively, Johnny Dixon is the book series ("Johnny Dixon and the Professor" in ISFDB).
The series is set in the early 1950s. Johnny lives with his paternal grandparents in fictional Duston Heights, Massachusetts; his mother died of cancer some time prior to the beginning of the series, and his father is a fighter pilot in the United States Air Force during the Korean War. Johnny's best friend, history professor Roderick Childermass, lives across the street. In "The Mummy, the Will and the Crypt", Johnny meets a boy his own age, Byron Q. "Fergie" Ferguson, at a Boy Scout camp. Thenceforth, Johnny, Fergie, and Professor Childermass (who is typically referred to as simply "the professor") are the three principal characters of the series.
Novels in Johnny Dixon series
- The Curse of the Blue Figurine (1983)
- The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (1983)
- The Spell of the Sorcerer's Skull (1984)
- The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost (1985)
- The Eyes of the Killer Robot (1986)
- The Trolley to Yesterday (1989)
- The Chessmen of Doom (1989)
- The Secret of the Underground Room (1990)
- The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie (1994)
- The Hand of the Necromancer (1996)
- The Bell, the Book, and the Spellbinder (1997)
- The Wrath of the Grinning Ghost (1999)