Lanham, Maryland facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|• Total||3.55 sq mi (9.19 km2)|
|• Land||3.53 sq mi (9.14 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|• Density||3,197.85/sq mi (1,234.70/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||597661|
Lanham is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. As of the 2020 United States Census it had a population of 11,282. The New Carrollton station (the terminus of the Washington Metro's Orange Line) as well as an Amtrak station are across the Capital Beltway in New Carrollton, Maryland. Doctors Community Hospital is located in Lanham.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Lanham has a total area of 3.6 square miles (9.2 km2), of which 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2), or 0.54%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||808||588||7.96%||5.21%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||6,579||5,998||64.77%||53.16%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||16||17||0.16%||0.15%|
|Asian alone (NH)||319||352||3.14%||3.12%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||5||0||0.05%||0.00%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||28||50||0.28%||0.44%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||133||233||1.31%||2.07%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||2,269||4,044||22.34%||35.84%|
Note: the US Census treats Hispanic/Latino as an ethnic category. This table excludes Latinos from the racial categories and assigns them to a separate category. Hispanics/Latinos can be of any race.
- Grace Church
- Grace Presbyterian Church
- Trinity Reformed Presbyterian Church (Orthodox Presbyterian Church)
- Lanham Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Lanham United Methodist Church
- Murugan Temple of North America
- Prince George's Muslim Association
- Sri Siva Vishnu Temple
- Diyanet Center of America
- Kingdom Hall for Jehovah's Witnesses
- New Dimensions Church
- Korean Maryland Presbyterian Church
EdTech company 2U (Nasdaq: REVU), Shoppers Food & Pharmacy, reverse logistics company Optoro, software company Vocus, media company Radio One and publisher Rowman & Littlefield are based in Lanham.
Prince George's County Public Schools serves Lanham CDP.
Residents of the CDP are divided between James McHenry Elementary School and Seabrook Elementary School. All residents are zoned to Thomas Johnson Middle School and DuVal High School.
There is a private Catholic school, Academy of Saint Matthias the Apostle.
Other area schools:
- Elementary schools
- Catherine T. Reed Elementary School
- Gaywood Elementary School
- Magnolia Elementary School
- Robert Goddard Montessori School
- Middle schools
- Robert Goddard Montessori
- Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary/Equip Institute
- Antoine Brooks Jr., NFL player and Super Bowl LVI champion
- Daryl Ferguson, Barbadian footballer
- Robert Griffith, former NFL strong safety
- Frank Kratovil, former US Congressman
- Jermaine Lewis, former NFL wide receiver
- Guy S. Meloy Jr., former US Army general
- Lio Rush, professional wrestler
Lanham, Maryland Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.