Melbourne Arts Precinct facts for kids
The Melbourne Arts Precinct is a series of galleries, performing arts venues and spaces in Melbourne, Victoria, in Australia. The precinct in Southbank is centred on, and near, St Kilda Road. It differs from the East End Theatre District in the city centre, as most of the galleries and venues in the precinct are publicly funded.
Administrative offices, broadcast studios, schools and training institutions of many arts organisations are also located in the precinct.
In 2008, it was announced by the Government of Victoria the precinct would receive a A$128 million upgrade, with the major refurbishment of Hamer Hall as its centrepiece. The combined Melbourne Recital Centre and MTC Theatre complex, which opened in February 2009, won the Moore Stephens Award for Public Buildings at the Property Council of Australia - the country's highest award for a public building.
In 2014, the Victorian government released the Melbourne Arts Precinct Blueprint, initiated by the former state Premier and Minister for the Arts Ted Ballieu for a cost of $900,000 (given by both federal and state government). Led by Creative Victoria, its intention was to establish a vision for the precinct along with prioritising any future development.
Public venues and galleries
- Arts Centre Melbourne, including Hamer Hall, the State Theatre, the Playhouse, the Fairfax Studio and other venues
- National Gallery of Victoria
- Various venues at the Victorian College of the Arts, including Grant Street Theatre, Space 28, Federation Hall and the Margaret Lawrence Gallery
- Buxton Contemporary
- Southbank Theatre
- Melbourne Recital Centre
- Iwaki Auditorium at the ABC Centre
- Australian Centre for Contemporary Art (ACCA), with its building also referred to as Ngargee (a Bunurong word for describing "gathering for celebration")
- The Coopers Malthouse
- Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Arts administration and education
- The Australian Ballet, including the Australian Ballet School
- Chunky Move at ACCA
- Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
- Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (MSO) at the ABC Centre
- Melbourne Theatre Company (MTC).
- Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School (VCASS)
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation at the ABC Centre
- Creative Victoria
- Malthouse Theatre
- Victorian College of the Arts (University of Melbourne)
- Musica Viva
Melbourne Arts Precinct Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.