Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Nelson Mandela Bay
Location in the Eastern Cape
|• Total||1,959 km2 (756 sq mi)|
|• Density||588.11/km2 (1,523.2/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||60.1%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality is one of eight metropolitan municipalities (also called Category A municipalities) in South Africa. It is located on the shores of Algoa Bay in the Eastern Cape Province.
It is made-up of the city of Port Elizabeth, the nearby towns of Uitenhage and Despatch, and the surrounding rural area.
List of Mayors
- Christopher Nceba Faku (1995–2006)
- Nondumiso Maphazi (2006–2008)
- Zanoxolo Wayile (2008–2013)
- Ben Fihla (2013–2015)
- Danny Jordaan (2015–2016)
- Athol Trollip (2016–2018)
- Mongameli Bobani (2018–2019)
- Thsonono Buyeye interim (since 2019)
Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.