Popelogan River facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsPopelogan River
|Main source||Addington Parish, Restigouche County, New Brunswick
275 m (902 ft)
|River mouth||Addington Parish, Restigouche County, New Brunswick
65 m (213 ft)
|Length||28.7 km (17.8 mi)|
In his course to the south, the Popelogan river flows through a valley increasingly deep in the mountainous terrain. Its main tributaries are the Gordon Brook and the "Lake Popelogan Branch" which supplies at Popelogan Lake. A forest road serves the upper part of the river, from Popelogan Depot.
Popelogan river rises at the West side of White Meadows, in the Addington Parish, at 0.7 kilometres (0.43 mi) West of the boundary of the Addington Parish. The upper part of the Popelogan river flows Southwest into a small valley, which extends towards the Northeast towards the watershed of Goullette Brook, a tributary of the Charlo River.
The source of the Popelogan river is located in forest area:
- 15.0 kilometres (9.3 mi) Northeast of the confluence of the Popelogan river;
- 21.0 kilometres (13.0 mi) Southeast of the confluence of the Upsalquitch River;
- 18.6 kilometres (11.6 mi) South of Campbellton bridge, crossing the Restigouche River.
From the source, the river Popelogan flows on 28.7 kilometres (17.8 mi) according to the following segments:
- 1.3 kilometres (0.81 mi) to the Southwest, up to the limit of the Balmoral Parish, Restigouche County;
- 0.7 kilometres (0.43 mi) to the South in the Balmoral Parish, making a detour to the East, up to the limit of Addington Parish, Restigouche County;
- 4.3 kilometres (2.7 mi) to the Southwest in the Addington Parish up to a stream (from the Southwest);
- 1.3 kilometres (0.81 mi) to the South, up to the "Branch Lake Popelogan" (from the East);
- 6.0 kilometres (3.7 mi) to the Southwest, up to Arsenault Brook (from the Southeast);
- 5.1 kilometres (3.2 mi) to the North, up to Petteller Gulch (from the North);
- 10.0 kilometres (6.2 mi) to the South, up to the confluence of the river Popelogan
The Popelogan River empties on the East bank of the Upsalquitch River, in the Crooked Rapids area. The confluence of the river Popelogan is located at:
- 25.0 kilometres (15.5 mi) Southeast of the confluence of the Upsalquitch River;
- 35.9 kilometres (22.3 mi) South of the Campbellton, New Brunswick bridge, crossing the Restigouche River.
The term Popelogan is a used in other toponymical names in the same sector including lake, depot, river and «Little Popelogan Brook".
Popelogan River Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.