Saint-Étienne-au-Mont facts for kids
|Intercommunality||Communauté d'agglomération du Boulonnais|
|Area1||14.05 km2 (5.42 sq mi)|
|• Density||363.84/km2 (942.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+01:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+02:00)|
|INSEE/Postal code||62746 /62360|
|Elevation||3–113 m (9.8–370.7 ft)
(avg. 7 m or 23 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Saint-Étienne-au-Mont (English: Saint-Etienne-au-Mont, Dutch: Sint-Steven Berg) is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Hauts-de-France region of France near Boulogne-sur-Mer. Besides the main settlement Saint-Étienne-au-Mont, the commune consists of the two smaller settlements Pont-de-Briques and Écault.
Saint-Étienne-au-Mont is a small farming and light industrial town situated some 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Boulogne, at the junction of the D52 and D940 roads. The Liane river flows from the north of the commune to the south-east. Beyond Écault lies the English Channel (in the west).
|Census count starting from 1962: Population without duplicates|
Places of interest
- The church of Saint-Léonard (in Saint-Léonard), a twelfth century church.
- The church of Sainte-Thérèse, a nineteenth century church.
- The St. Etienne-au-Mont Communal Cemetery (including the Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery) created during World War I for men of the Chinese Labour Corps and of the South African Native Labour Corps.
- The sand dunes along the beach and Aréna (a centre in Écault dedicated to the world of dunes).
- The Château de Pont-de-Briques (in Saint-Léonard), a registered monument
- The Château d’Hardelot in Condette, a castle dating from the middle of the nineteenth century
- The Château d'Audisque, dating from the eighteenth century and a registered monument.
- The Pont-de-Briques, a bridge across the Liane
- The view from the Chapelle d'Écault (the church is also known as l'Église de Saint-Étienne and dates from the twelfth century)
- The PGL Le Pré Catelan Adventure Center (an adventure center for primary schools) in Neufchâtel-Hardelot.
Saint-Étienne-au-Mont Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.