Savuka facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Savuka in 1993
L-R: Derek De Beer, Mandisa Dlanga, Solly Letwaba, Johnny Clegg, Steve Mavuso, Keith Hutchinson
|Origin||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Genres||World music, Afro pop, rock, Zulu music|
|Past members||Johnny Clegg
Derek de Beer
Savuka, occasionally referred to as Johnny Clegg & Savuka, was a multi-racial South African band formed in 1986 by Johnny Clegg after the disbanding of Juluka. Savuka's music blended traditional Zulu musical influences with Celtic music and Rock music that had a cross-racial appeal in South Africa. Their lyrics were often bilingual in English and Zulu and they wrote several politically charged songs, particularly related to apartheid. Some better-known Savuka songs include "Asimbonanga", and "Third World Child", from their 1987 album Third World Child. Band percussionist Dudu Zulu was killed in 1992; their song "The Crossing" was a tribute to him.
- 1986: Johnny Clegg and Savuka EP
- 1987: Third World Child
- 1988: Shadow Man
- 1989: Cruel, Crazy Beautiful World
- 1993: Heat, Dust and Dreams
- "Third World Child"
- "The Crossing"
- "Cruel Crazy Beautiful World"
- "Scatterlings of Africa"
- Mandisa Dlanga – vocals.
- Johnny Clegg – guitar, vocals (died 2019).
- Steve Mavuso – keyboards, vocals.
- Keith Hutchinson – saxophone, keyboards, vocals.
- Solly Letwaba – bass (died 2001).
- Derek de Beer – drums.
- Andy Innes – guitar, mandolin, vocals.
- Bongani Masuku – vocals (died 2014).
- Dudu Zulu – percussion, vocals (died 1992).
Savuka Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.