Slugterra facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSlugterra
|Created by||Asaph Fipke|
|Developed by||Asaph Fipke
|Written by||Asaph Fipke
|Directed by||Johnny Darrell
|Voices of||Sam Vincent
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||63 (+5 movies) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Asaph Fipke
|Production location(s)||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Nerd Corps Entertainment|
|Original network||Disney XD Canada/Family Chrgd (Canada)
Disney XD (US)
|Original release||September 3, 2012– August 28, 2018|
Slugterra is a Canadian animated television series created by Asaph Fipke. The series was produced by the Canadian animation studio Nerd Corps Entertainment, a subsidiary of DHX Media (now WildBrain). It premiered on Disney XD Canada on September 3, 2012 and began broadcasts in the United States the following month.
Since the series' debut, three seasons were broadcast with exactly 13 episodes each, followed by several specials and movies. In September 2014, a fourth season with 13 episodes was announced which includes a fourth movie, Eastern Caverns, which had a theatrical release during August 2015 in Canada and later began airing on TV in Canada as four separate episodes starting January 17, 2016. Season 4 aired from January to April 2016. A fifth movie, Into the Shadows, was released theatrically in August 2016 in Canada, and later began airing on TV in Canada as four separate episodes in October 2016. In September 2019, more content was confirmed, such as a live-action game show, 20 new "Slugisodes", a mobile game, and a VR game.
Several products tied to the series have been released, including both action figures and video games.
Eli Shane is determined to be the greatest Slugslinger, one who slings slugs, of all. But in order to defeat the forces of evil, he must collect, train and duel with little creatures called Slugs in the secret underground world of Slugterra. Eli and his crew explore the caverns, challenge rivals and one another to friendly duels, and upgrade their gear in their underground world. But there is a threat to Eli and the Slugs, in the form of the evil scientist Dr. Blakk wants to transform the Slugs into mindless weapons.
Slug is a common name for a shell-less creature which lives in Slugterra.
Each slug is contrasted to one of five elements which are Fire, Water, Air, Earth, and Energy. These are the basic elements. The secondary elements are Electric, Toxic, Ice, Plant, Shadow, and Psychic. There are five Elemental Slugs which were the first of their kind. They are the progenitors of all other slugs, so if one were to be corrupted, all the slugs of its lineage would suffer the same effects. In effect, if the Air Elemental were to be Ghouled, all other Air slugs will become ghouls, such as Hoverbug, Flatulorhinkus, Gazzer, Tormato, and Slyren.
When these slugs are fired with the help of Blasters, they easily reach a velocity of one hundred miles per hour and transform into a stronger form called Velocimorph which can be highly destructive, and can activate a special ability specific to the slug species. Once they are fired, they can be re-used only if their Slingers are fast in picking them up and reloading. Otherwise, they will return to the slinger's hideout if they are friendly to them. They revert to their normal "Protoform" after being fired. All Slug-Slingers have to expand their arsenal so they may use certain techniques such as communicating and using special slug collecting devices. Slugs are kept in special cylinder-shaped cases called slug shells.
Highly experienced slugs can evolve into an even stronger form called a Mega Morph when shot at two hundred miles per hour. If a slug is not experienced enough, it will get thrown off by the intense speed and the Mega Morph will fail. The first time a slug transforms into a Mega Morph, its Protoform appearance permanently changes. By equipping a blaster with an accelerator, the slinger can help a slug Mega Morph more easily. The Shane Gang got the accelerator from Red Hook after Eli rescued Red Hook from Dr. Blakk's cultivation.
Dark Energy is hazardous to Slugs, and staying near it can cause them to become ill and block transformations. Slugs can become "Ghouled" which is a form of corruption of the slug by Dark Energy. Ghouling can be induced by gassing a slug with Dark Energy or dunking it into a pool of Dark Water. Ghoul slugs are generally more powerful than regular slugs, though they can still be overpowered by well-trained slugs. They are also harder to have a bond with and are more likely to not return to the Slug-Slinger. A Ghoul slug or a slug that is corrupted by Dark Energy can be cured by using a Boon Doc slug or by the close proximity of the Light Well.
- Will Shane (Father of Eli Shane,The Protector of Slugterra)
- Eli Shane (Son of Will Shane, Leader of The Shane Gang)
- Kord (Engineer with specialization in Mecha Beasts, Member of the Shane Gang)
- Pronto (Molonoid, Tracker, Member of Shane Gang)
- Trixie (Vlogger,Member of Shane Gang)
- Junjie (Champion of the Eastern Caverns, Member of Shane Gang)
- Dr. Blakk (Owner of the Blakk industries)
Blasters are part of the Slugslinger's basic gear needed for slinging slugs. Blasters are used to shoot Slugs with enough force for them to reach velocity and transform. Blasters can be customized with accessories to enhance the blaster's or the slinger's performance, although most slingers stick with the basic components of their chosen model and let the Slugs do the work. Blasters can be temporarily disabled, permanently damaged or destroyed by slug attacks, misfire or improper blaster modifications. Even without a blaster, it is still possible for the slug to reach velocity using historical methods such as catapults or slingshots.
The Fusion shot is when two slugs that have the same aura perform attacks and skills which are significantly stronger than a single shot.
- Shadowray: "Albino Boon Doc"+"Negashade" – Creates a sonic beam fused with the "Light" and "Shadow" representing "Yin and Yang". Used by the Unbeatable Master to defeat Twist disguised as Dr. Blakk.
- NovaBolt: "Infurnus"+"Tazerling" – Forms an ionized plasma blast engulfed in flames. Eli Shane used the master's blaster to defeat Dr. Blakk before he left after defeating the Unbeatable Master, and also to destroy a pill box on the beach of an island taken over by Dr. Blakk and the Darkbane.
- Magma Blade: "Thresher"+"Forgesmelter" – Forms a super-heated spinning sawblade that spews lava from its sides, able to melt solid metal like butter, and leave it in a liquid form. Used to destroy the Blakk Steel Train at Lumino cavern.
- Boulder Storm: "Rammstone"+"Tormato" – (Possible defective combo) Rammstone launches Tormato at multiple opponents as the Tormato creates a rampaging cyclone filled with boulders. It seemed to work, but it could backfire in close or medium range. Suitable to destroy multiple opponents from a long range. Used unsuccessfully to defeat Mr. Saturday's Zombie guards from Stalagmite 17.
- Nitro Bubble: "Infurnus"+"Bubbaleone" – Forms a flaming bubble that can be used for emergency transport. The attack functions like a high speed hot air balloon which can go in any direction. Used to make a quick exit after the Shane Gang escaped from Stalagmite 17.
- Inferno Slam: "Infurnus"+"Rammstone" – Once launched, the Slugs will spin around each other, leading to a Rammstone with blazing horns. Used to destroy the containment tube the Game Master used to collect the slugs used by his contestants out at Land's End Cavern.
- ElectroSpear: "Tazerling"+"Dirt Urchin" – Once the Slug starts spinning, electrified needles are then shot out. Used to defeat the first Lightwell guardian.
- Supernova: "Infurnus"+"Phosphoro" – The Slugs spin, while the Phosphoro starts lighting up, the Infurnus boosts the light. Used to defeat the High Plains Monster, which was actually a flying eel from the Deep Caverns.
- Magma Strike: "Infurnus"+"Armashelt" – The Slugs launch a huge flaming boulder, which is capable of temporary stopping Dr. Blakk's Titan tanks.
- Rock Armour: "Rammstone"+"Hop Rock" – The Rammstone will increase in size, and get plated in Hop Rock armour. Used unsuccessfully to defeat a Megamorph Grimmstone Ghoul shot by El Diablos Nacho.
- SawBolo: "Polero"+"Thresher" – The two Slugs become two threshers joined together and begin to turn. Used to delay Blakk just long enough for Eli Shane to reacquire his accelerator.
- SuperCure: "Boon Doc"+"Fandango" – The Boon Doc spins with the Fandango to create an orb of pure Slug Energy. Used to Restore Master Lian of the Eastern Caverns.
- RockBomb: "Rammstone"+"Grenuke" – The Rammstone and Grenuke spin around and create a crater in the ground after falling out of the sky. Used to make some cover when the Shane Gang was facing off against Boss Ember's crew at Dr. Blakk's old Citadel.
- Inferno Splash: "Infurnus"+"AquaBeek" – Creates a splashing pulse wave that tires out all Protoform slugs. Has no effect on Ghouls.
Mecha-Beasts are robotic creatures used as a common form of transportation. They are powered by Slug energy. Mecha-Beasts come in all shapes and sizes, but the most commonly seen beasts resemble bulls, horses, moles, and elephants. Some unique beasts were custom-made to look like snakes and the HooliGang had their Mecha-Beasts made to resemble hyenas. It has been seen that Mecha-Beasts can be modified to deploy a large amount of weaponry, like Sedo's Mole Mecha-Beast.
Most Mecha-Beasts are made at the Mecha-Beast Forge. They are powered by special hearts. These hearts are infused with Slug energy via molecular transfusion. The abilities and qualities of a Mecha-Beast varies. They can be upgraded with mods just like blasters in order to fit various situations.
Mecha-Beasts are infused with Slug energy, which unfortunately means that they can be Ghouled by applying Dark Water to their cores. A Ghouled Mecha-Beast will start to behave erratically and its eyes will glow red. It will eventually stop obeying orders, turn on its rider, and then explode. It can be cured by healing Slugs.
Mecha-Beasts can be upgraded. Installing Rocket boosters can increase the speed of a Mecha-Beast. This can also help players jump across large gaps, chasms and assist players in acquiring Slugs that are fast and hard to catch. With this next installation, players can use their Mecha-Beast as a Jet Ski. They just have to press the yellow button and players can cruise across the water of the Flumes and the seas of Undertow Cavern. The third upgrade involves the player pulling a red lever and two wings will extend from the player's Mecha-Beast. This Glider Mode is very useful for a safe and slow descent from a high and fast fall. But the ultimate upgrade to Mecha-Beasts in the last 300 years is the Transforming Mecha-Beast In Vehicle Mode, the Mecha-Beast can go super fast, in excess of speeds of 100 miles per Hour. This can help an experienced Slug to Mega Morph more easily if the blaster is not equipped with an accelerator.
List of Slugterra episodes
From 2012 to 2016, 80 Slugisodes were aired with new 20 coming in 2020.
"The new animated action-comedy ‘Slugisodes’ (20 x 5’) is currently in development with WildBrain. The 2D animated shorts are targeted to launch in 2020, including on YouTube, managed by DHX's WildBrain. Through a non-dialogue serialized arc, the ‘Slugisodes’ will feature the Slugs from the hit international show, as well as introducing new Slugs and locations". after a four year hiatus, a slugisode, “Joules VS. Blusgeon battle”, was released on September 12th, 2020.
Shout! Factory released Slugterra: Return Of The Shane Gang, the first DVD collection of the show, on February 12, 2013. The second collection, Slugterra: Slugs Unleashed, was released on June 18, 2013, with Slugterra: Slug Power! following on September 17, in the UK Platform Entertainment Ltd. released episodes on DVD.
Slugterra Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.