Spanish Data Protection Agency facts for kids
|Agencia Española de Protección de Datos|
|Data Protection Authority overview|
|Headquarters||Calle Jorge Juan, 6 28071 Madrid|
|Data Protection Authority executive||
|Parent department||Spanish Ministry of Justice|
The Spanish Data Protection Agency (Spanish: Agencia Española de Protección de Datos, AEPD) is the national data protection authority from the Kingdom of Spain. It is an agency dependant of the Spanish Ministry of Justice that was created in 1993. It is tasked with protecting Spaniards privacy.
This agency ensures compliance of the Organic Law 3/2018 as of December regarding the protection of personal data and digital rights (Spanish: Ley Orgánica 3/2018, de 5 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos Personales y garantía de los derechos digitales) and the General Data Protection Regulation. It is situated in Madrid and it has the power to act in all the Kingdom. Currently the director of the agency is Mar España Martín, and previously José Luis Rodríguez Álvarez and Artemi Rallo Lombarte.
The Spanish Data Protection Agency is a public law entity with legal personality. It has full public and private capacity to act independently of public administration in the exercise of their functions. It ensures that the titulars of the files that contains personal information strictly follows the data protection legislation.
- Ensures the compliance with the laws regarding data protection; specially ensures that the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition are respected.
- In relation to those seeking data
- The Spanish Data Protection Agency has the power to impose fines to those not respecting the law.
- Issuing authorizations in the manner prescribed by law.
- Require corrective actions.
- Order, in cases of unlawful data processing, the termination and deletion of the data.
- Issuing authorizations of international transfers of data.
- In relation to the citizens
- Processing their complains regarding suspected violations of the data protection laws.
- Inform the citizens about their rights regarding the data protection law.
- Regarding the telecommunication services
- Protect the rights and interests of the subscribers and the users in the field of the electronic communications, including sending unsolicited commercial communications made through mail or electronic media equivalent (spam).
- European Data Protection Supervisor
Spanish Data Protection Agency Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.