Stickin' Around facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsStickin' Around
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||39 (77 segments) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original release||August 14, 1996– April 13, 1998|
Stickin' Around is a Canadian animated children's television series from Nelvana, which originally aired from 1996 to 1998.
The show, which originated as a series of one-minute interstitials on CBS in 1994, is about two best friends named Stacy and Bradley, their hand-drawn adventures with their friends and family, and their fantasies. Both children encounter many problems they must face as they continue to grow up – with school, bullies, friends, and parents. They always come up with imaginative ideas to eliminate these obstacles, such as becoming a superhero and putting themselves in a different environment where they have no trouble in defeating their enemies.
According to Nelvana, the show uses "the advanced computer graphics of 'Boiler Paint', virtually convincing us that kids are creating their own animated series." The show won the Gemini Award for "Best Animated Program or Series" in the spring of 1998, while being nominated once again during the fall of 1998, for the Gemini of the same award.
List of Stickin' Around episodes
- Stacy Stickler: One of the main protagonists. An 8-year-old quiet but bossy girl who loves imagining many things with Bradley. She often says "For your big fat information" and "Real mature, Bradley". She sometimes serves as the voice of reason for Bradley's silliness and recklessness.
- Bradley: The other main protagonist is Stacy's 9-year-old best friend. He wears thick black-framed glasses and a red cap backward. He often imagines himself as a superhero, secret agent, robot, or vampire, namely as Rubber Guy, Cap Crusader, 00 Bradley, Robo Bradley, or Count Bradley. His favorite fantasy is that "Aliens from Uranus" are behind whatever problem they are facing, much to Stacy's annoyance.
- Frank: Stacy's overweight pet wiener dog who sometimes shares in their adventures and loves to eat. He often sees things as food due to his over-hungry habits. He is very lazy and does not exercise much apart from chasing Stacy on the way to school.
- Lester: Bradley's pet chameleon who blends into the background and causes a lot of trouble.
- Lance: A bully who loves to pick on everyone in school, especially Bradley, whom he nicknames "Scradley".
- Russell: Lance's dimwitted best friend and sidekick and carries around with him a terrible odor. He always says "What?" when everyone says "Whoa Man!, What's that funky smell?" and repeats everything that Lance says. He usually says "Yeah…… (Either what Lance said, or a synonym/variant.)". He does surprisingly well in class.
- Polly: Lance's friendly, intelligent little half-sister who always gives words of knowledge and wisdom. She is often seen walking her lifeless pet poodle, Pepperoni, whom she refuses to believe is dead, and she hates being called a baby.
- Dill: Friend of Stacy and Bradley who has a very loud voice. Often, uses the words "HOLY MACKEREL!".
- Stella Stickler: She's Stacy's caring but also a hotheaded mother. She loves fashion, she works hard, and hates being annoyed by Stacy and Bradley sometimes. She is married to Stanley, Stacy's dad. She is very annoyed when Stanley is trying to "fix" things.
- Stanley Stickler: Stacy's ambitious father. His inventions go wrong and he's no good at cooking. A running gag is that he's always trying to fix appliances. As mentioned in Season 1 Episode 1 entitled "Aaaand Action", he lives in "his own place" in the same apartments (Latchkey Garden Apartments). He is married to Stella, Stacy's mom. He also seems to be kind of forgetful, because in the episode "Madame Know-it-All" it's a running gag that he thinks that his family has a lawn, but it's green gravel. He still doesn't seem to get that this "lawn" is not made out of grass because in the episode "We're doomed" from the 3rd season he still thinks that it is grass.
- Ms. Mobley: Stacy and Bradley's cheerful but crazy teacher. She frequently says "Won't that be fun?".
- Principal Coffin: A scary school principal who looks like a zombie and a vampire. He speaks in a slow, spooky voice.
- Mr. Lederhosen: Stacy and Bradley's tough P.E. teacher who acts like an army sergeant major.
- Mr. Doddler: A senior citizen who wears a fez with a crescent moon on it. He was a farmer who often grows the ingredients to make the kids' favorite snack, Cheez Poopers, that are similar to Wotsits. Stacy usually calls him "Mr. D."
- William: A chubby boy who loves eating.
- Melody: Stacy and Bradley's bespectacled wheelchair bound classmate. She occasionally teams up with Stacy against Bradley and Dill.
- Ashley: Stacy's rival and the wealthiest girl in school. She always wears a beret and is usually seen acting as somewhat of a snob and a spoiled brat.
- Mrs. Salazar: A Spanish speaking woman who is Stacy and Bradley's kind-hearted neighbor.
- Pickle: Pickle is Dill's pet parrot. His name is a pun on a Dill Pickle.
- Scooter: Scooter is William's pet hamster.
- Freddy: Freddy is Melody's pet maggot.
- Pepperoni: Pepperoni, as mentioned above, is Polly's lifeless pet dog. Polly is usually seen dragging Pepperoni around by its leash.
- Ashley Taylor – Stacy Stickler
- Ashley Brown – Bradley
- Marianna Galati – Polly
- Andrew Craig – Lance
- Amos Crawley – Russell
- Daniel Goodfellow – Dill
- Catherine Disher – Stella Stickler
- Philip Williams – Stanley Stickler
- Melleny Brown – Ms. Mobley
- Benedict Campbell – Principal Coffin
- Ron Rubin – Mr. Lederhosen
- Nicholas Rice – Mr. Doddler
- Daniel DeSanto – William
- Leah Renee Cudmore – Melody
- Lisa Yamanaka – Ashley
- Allegra Fulton – Mrs. Salazar
- Dan Hennessey – Voice Director
The show's original run was between 1996 and 1998 on YTV in Canada and on ABC in Australia, with reruns airing prominently on YTV until 2004, and 2006 to 2008. In Australia, it played on Cartoon Network in 2002. In Latin America, it was broadcast by Nickelodeon under the title Los Grafitos, which translates to "The Graphites." In the United Kingdom, it aired on Nickelodeon in 1996 and Pop in 2004. It was also broadcast on Disney Channel in Japan and TVNZ 2 in New Zealand. It was also aired in the United States on Fox Kids from 1997 to 1998, and on Nickelodeon in 2000. Qubo aired reruns on the network until January 2019, and from March 30, 2020 to July 24, 2020.
Starting December 1996, Cinépix Film Properties started to release the series on videocassette. Volume 1 was released on December 3, 1996. Volume 2 was released on March 2, 1997, and sold more than volume 1. Volume 3 was released on July 14, 1997, and sold less than its precessors. The last volumes, The Magical Adventure and Very Hip Presentation were both released on January 9, 1998. All videocassettes dropped from print in 1999 when Cinépix Film Properties was changed into Lionsgate Home Entertainment. As a result, the VHS tapes of this show have become extremely rare and hard to find.
Stickin' Around Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.