Taunton River Watershed facts for kids
The Taunton River watershed or Taunton River basin is made up of 562 square miles (1,500 km2) of rivers, lakes, ponds, streams, and wetlands in southeastern Massachusetts, US. It is the second largest watershed in the state. Also, it is a significant part of a much larger multi-state watershed, the Narragansett Bay watershed.
The Taunton River watershed includes:
- 7 species of freshwater mussels
- 27 different habitat types
- 29 species of native fish
- 114 species of birds.
- 173 square miles (450 km2) of canoeable river
- 221 lakes and ponds
- Hockomock Swamp of 16,800 acres (6,800 ha)
This is an incomplete list of environmental groups and organizations that advocate protecting, by legislation and grants, the Taunton River Watershed:
- Sheehan Family Foundation Grant
- Taunton River Watershed Alliance
- Taunton River Wild and Scenic Rivers Studyfr:Comté de Bristol (Massachusetts)
Taunton River Watershed Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.