The Andy Griffith Show facts for kids
|The Andy Griffith Show|
Griffith and Howard
|Created by||Sheldon Leonard|
|Theme music composer||Earle Hagen|
|Opening theme||"The Fishin' Hole"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||249 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||25-26 minutes per episode without ads|
|Picture format||Black and white 1960-1965
|Original run||October 3, 1960 – April 1, 1968|
|Followed by||Mayberry R.F.D.|
|Related shows||The Danny Thomas Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
- Andy Griffith as Sheriff Andy Taylor
- Don Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife
- Ron Howard as Andy's son Opie
- Frances Bavier as Andy's aunt and housekeeper Aunt Bee
- Elinor Donahue as Andy's girlfriend and drug store owner Ellie Walker
- Jim Nabors as garage mechanic Gomer Pyle
- Howard McNear as town barber Floyd Lawson
- Aneta Corsaut as Andy's girlfriend and Opie's schoolteacher Helen Crump
- Betty Lynn as Barney's girlfriend Thelma Lou
- Hope Summers as Aunt Bee's friend Clara Edwards
- Jack Dodson as county clerk Howard Sprague
- George Lindsey as Gomer's cousin Goober Pyle
The series is about a sheriff in fictional Mayberry, North Carolina, a friendly, backward town with colorful characters. Andy is a widower with a young son named Opie. His paternal Aunt Bee, lives with them and maintains the home. Andy's friend/cousin (or cousin-in-law), Barney is his oddball deputy/ sidekick.
The show aired on CBS between October 3, 1960 and April 1, 1968. Griffith, Howard, and Bavier were introduced in an episode of The Danny Thomas Show. The show transitioned to color with the sixth season. The broad, cornball comedy was toned-down and the show was allowed to touch on serious themes.
Don Knotts and Frances Bavier won a combined total of six Emmy Awards. Knotts left the show at the end of its fifth black and white season.
The series had two spin-offs: Mayberry, RFD, a sitcom series starring Ken Berry as councilman/ farmer Sam Jones and featured most of the characters from the Andy Griffith Show, and Gomer Pyle, USMC with filling station worker Gomer (Jim Nabors) becoming a marine. A 1986 NBC TV movie, Return To Mayberry, brought most of the cast members together once again.
Images for kids
The Andy Griffith Show Facts for Kids. Homework Help - Kiddle Encyclopedia.