The Sword in the Stone (movie) facts for kids
|The Sword in the Stone|
|Directed by||Wolfgang Reitherman|
|Produced by||Walt Disney|
|Screenplay by||Bill Peet|
|Story by||Bill Peet|
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman
|Editing by||Donald Halliday|
|Studio||Walt Disney Productions|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Distribution|
|Release date(s)||December 25, 1963|
|Running time||79 minutes|
The Sword in the Stone is a 1963 American animated fantasy comedy movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Productions. It was first released to theaters on December 25, 1963. It was the last Disney animated movie released before Walt Disney's death.
The movie is based on the novel with the same name. The novel was at first published in 1938 as a single novel. It was republished in 1958 as the first of four books in T. H. White's The Once and Future King.
Cast and characters
- Rickie Sorenson, Richard Reitherman, and Robert Reitherman as Arthur/Wart, the long-lost son of Uther Pendragon and the future King Arthur. He is Disney's adaptation of legendary British leader King Arthur.
- Karl Swenson as Merlin, the legendary wizard who helps and educates King Arthur about various things.
- Martha Wentworth as Madam Mim, a black witch and Merlin's enemy.
- Junius Matthews as Archimedes, Merlin's pet owl. He can talk and accompanies Wart during his training.
- Sebastian Cabot as Sir Ector, the ruler of King Uther Pendragon's castle.
- Norman Alden as Sir Kay, the older foster brother of Wart.
- Alan Napier as Sir Pellinore, a friend of Sir Ector. He announces the tournament in which Arthur is revealed as king.
- Thurl Ravenscroft as Black Bart, also known as the Black Knight, one of the first to recognize the sword that Arthur pulled from the stone.
- James MacDonald as The Wolf, an unnamed wolf who wants to eat Wart. He was defeated in the squirrel scene and not seen again.
- Ginny Tyler as The Little Girl Squirrel, a young female squirrel that Wart comes across. She quickly falls in love with him. After she saves him from the Wolf, she becomes very upset when she finds out that Wart is not really a squirrel.
Images for kids
The Sword in the Stone (movie) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.