Ultimate Book of Spells facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsUltimate Book of Spells
The title card from Ultimate Book of Spells
|Genre||Animated children's television series|
|Developed by||Sean Catherine Derek|
|Directed by||Chuck Patton|
|Voices of||Michael Dobson
|Theme music composer||Will Anderson
|Country of origin||United States
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Running time||20 mins|
|Production company(s)||BKN International|
|Original network||YTV (Canada)|
|Original release||12 September 2001– 7 April 2002|
Ultimate Book of Spells is a 2001-2002 Canadian children's animated television series produced by BKN International. It ran for 26 episodes.
Inspired by the popular Harry Potter book and movie series, the show presents a trio of "wizards-in-training" at an enchanted private school run by Miss Crystalgazer. Cassy is a junior witch, Gus is a half-elf/half-human junior wizard, and Verne is a promising "mortie", i.e. a non-magical human. With the guidance of the talking Ultimate Book of Spells (aka UBOS), the three have to battle the evil wizard Zarlak, who's trying to steal all of the world's spells.
- Cassandra (Cassy) (voiced by Janyse Jaud): The leader of the trio, and junior witch. She wants to become a sorceress, a class considered superior to witches. It's revealed that she's the great-granddaughter of the wizard who defeated and banished Zarlak — a wizard that is now disguised as UBOS.
- Gus: He is half Elf and half Wizard. He is quite confident and sometimes acts childishly. He at first looks down on Verne due to his "mortie" status, but Verne manages to redeem himself by saving Gus's life.
- Verne (voiced by Cathy Weseluck): He is a mortal, but he displays magical powers and can naturally mend electronic devices. Because of his mortal status, he is called a "mortie." At some points, he is quite cowardly and is surprised by almost anything that involves magic. He is quite skilled at Techno Magic which is good for putting ordinary electronics and/or mechanical devices together to make useful gadgets.
- UBOS (voiced by Ron Halder): An elderly looking book that has the power to teleport the three to the centre of the world where they must stop Zarlak. He tends to be quite grumpy (mostly when Cassy stuffs him in her backpack) and hits the three on the head when he's scolding them. It is revealed throughout the series that he is Cassy's great-grandfather. UBOS is also the title character of the series.
- Prince Erbert (voiced by Michael Dobson): He is a prince who was cursed by Zarlack to look like a toy frog and confined at the magic school the Vonderland. He is the friend of the trio and UBOS. He stays with Gus and Verne in their room. Although he refuses at first he is seen travelling with them to defeat Zarlack in some episodes.
- Zarlak: An evil wizard and the main antagonist, who seeks world domination. He desires to get his hands on UBOS so that he will have enough power to not only escape his prison but to destroy and rule the world.
- Rowce and Snerrot: Zarlack's henchmen whom he often loses patience with. They have the power to combine to become a two-headed dragon, but like most henchmen, are rather dimwitted.
- Ilsa: A 12-foot-tall (3.7 m) giant girl whose father is a big man (literally) in Vonderland. She was roommates with Cassy for a short while. Due to her size, Ilsa had trouble fitting in.
- Lucretia and Borgia: Evil fraternal twins who try to make trouble for the main characters. Their father used to serve Zarlak but defected before Zarlak's defeat, thus avoiding punishment for his crimes.
- Miss Crystalgazer: The Headmistress of Vonderland. She can transform into a cat at will.
- Professor Saysme: Another Teacher of Vonderland, he is a young man with a top hat and teaches age regression magic.
- Professor Beagleboyce: The librarian of Vonderland.
- Miss Mayday: A ghost in charge of scoot-zoomer driving tests.
- Scrimpy: An imp who calls out to the trio for help when Zarlack attacks his village.
- Flaherty: A leprechaun who was forced into helping Lucretia cheat, by tinkering with Cassie's scoot-zoomer while racing, before he was freed.
- Wingo and Jingo: Two mischievous gremlins who were cast into a cuckoo clock for 100 years after losing a battle with Vonderland's builders. They are allowed to come out once a century to play while the whole school is put under a sleeping spell.
- Snap the Dragon (voiced by Michael Dobson)
- Susan Blu - Voice Director
- Sean Catherine Derek - Story Editor
|Ep. #||Broadcast Date||Title||Written by||Description|
|1||12 September 2001||Three Is A Charm (Pilot)||Sean Catherine Derek||A mortie named Verne arrives at a magic school. He meets Gus, a half-elf second year junior wizard and Cassy, a third year junior witch. He also meets the evil twins, Lucretia and Borgia, and the headmistress Miss Crystalgazer. The talking book UBOS takes the three friends to the center of the earth, where an evil wizard Zarlak is stealing magic from the outside world.|
|2||19 September 2001||Man or Mortie||Sean Catherine Derek||Cassy, Gus and Verne need to come up with an antidote to stop winged beings from crashing into turrets of the castle.|
|3||26 September 2001||He Who Laughs Last||Sean Roche||The trio have to stop Zarlak's plan to take joy from the surface world.|
|4||3 October 2001||Rootopia of All Evil||Jack &
|Zarlak plans to steal all the flowers (and the happiness) for himself.|
|5||10 October 2001||Time and Again||Dennis Haley
|The class goes back in time to Zarlak's trial, and Gus inadvertently takes a crystal that Cassy's great grandfather needed for his battle with Zarlak.|
|6||17 October 2001||Fire with Fire||Bob Forward||Gus discovers that the elves are losing their powers, because a huge dragon has stolen the "Elfin Stone".|
|7||24 October 2001||The New Librarian||Douglas Gayeton||Professor Beagleboyce becomes the new librarian, and absorbs the contents of all of the library's books.|
|8||31 October 2001||Shadow Land||Sean Roche||Verne has to fight a shadow creature, who's taken Cassy and Gus' shadows.|
|9||7 November 2001||Once in a Blue Moon||Sean Roche||Zarlak kidnaps the Charmlings, little elf-like people who can grant any wish.|
|10||14 November 2001||The Bind That Ties||Glenn Leopold||Zarlak has captured all the bookbinder gnomes, which makes all the books unglued and devastates UBOS.|
|11||21 November 2001||Coat of Arms||Christy Marx
|Cassy finds out that her great-grandaunt Cassandra VII teamed up with Zarlak many years ago.|
|12||28 November 2001||Out of Shape||Glenn Leopold||Zarlak sends his dragon to steal the magic book, but kidnaps Verne and Gus instead. Cassy has to save the day, but she's having a hard time using her shape-changing powers.|
|13||5 December 2001||The Rift||Don Gillies||Scavenger imps use a portal to steal objects from the surface world, and two of the friends are in the hands of Zarlak.|
|14||9 January 2002||What a Cut-Up!||Julia Lewald||The three friends fight Zarlak, who has turned everything dull.|
|15||16 January 2002||Multiple Mayhem||Sean Catherine Derek||Cassy creates a duplicate of herself to get to all her classes, but the duplicate starts acting out in unpredictable ways.|
|16||23 January 2002||The Tear of Moolana||Stevie Stern||Gus and Cassy compete with Zarlack to obtain the Tear of Moolana, a gem that offers infinite power.|
|17||30 January 2002||Magical Logical||Michael Edens||Everything is losing its logic -- Video games, computers, wands and even Ubos -- and the trio has to find a way to bring it back.|
|18||10 February 2002||Veil of Illusion||Glenn Leopold||The "Veil of Illusion" disappears from the school, which is now visible to morties. The trio has to retrieve the veil from a great wizard.|
|19||17 February 2002||Dark Image||Bob Forward||A magical artifact turns Verne into a dark wizard, and Cassy a dark sorceress. Gus has to stop them from destroying the earth and each other.|
|20||24 February 2002||Sleeping Beauty School||Sean Roche||Creatures from a land behind the grandfather clock came to Vonderland and cast a sleeping spell on everyone except the trio.|
|21||3 March 2002||Eclipsed||B.W. Glass||At the famous Festivus Solarus (the festival where all the witches and wizards at Vonderland get together to celebrate the time when the moon eclipses the sun), the moon is frozen in front of the sun and the temperature drops below zero.|
|22||10 March 2002||Big Girls Don't Cry||Nathan Long||Cassy's new roommate, a giant named Ilsa, is manipulated by Lucretia and gets kidnapped by Zarlak.|
|23||17 March 2002||Lucky Gus||Don Gillies||Gus' sudden luck and popularity make Cassy and Verne jealous — just as Zarlak planned.|
|24||24 March 2002||Magic Quest||Bob Forward||Sitting in Merlin's magic chair, Cassy and Vern start to transform into new creatures. Verne has to find the ingredients for a spell to turn them back.|
|25||31 March 2002||The Lure||Sean Catherine Derek
|When Gus fails his midterms, he goes on the high seas — and gets everyone in trouble.|
|26||7 April 2002||Solo Sorceress||Dennis Haley
Sean Catherine Derek
|Cassy sees Lucretia cheat during their scooter race contest, but nobody believes her.|
In the U.S. DVD release of this series, "Solo Sorceress" is not the final episode and occurs significantly earlier in the play order.
Ultimate Book of Spells Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.