1006 facts for kids
|Centuries:||10th century – 11th century – 12th century|
|Decades:||970s 980s 990s – 1000s – 1010s 1020s 1030s|
|Years:||1003 1004 1005 – 1006 – 1007 1008 1009|
- A major eruption of Mount Merapi volcano covers all of central Java with volcanic ash. This caused devastation throughout central Java, and destroyed a Hindu kingdom on the island of Java.
- Holmgang (dueling) is declared illegal in Iceland.
- Granaries for famine relief are set up across China.
- Aelfheah (St. Alphege) goes to Pope John XVIII at Rome for his pallium and becomes Archbishop of Canterbury.
- May 1 – The brightest supernova ever recorded, SN 1006, occurs in the constellation of Lupus. It is observed and described in China, Japan, the Middle East, Europe, and elsewhere.
- Constantine X, emperor of Byzantium (d. 1067)
- Gisela of Burgundy
1006 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.