Admiral facts for kids
Admiral is the highest rank in a navy. The term is used internationally by many countries. It derives originally from the Arabic word emīr (= commander), and came to English by way of Old French and Latin.
Variations on the term are:
- Admiral of the Fleet: originally, the Admiral in charge of an operational fleet, later used to designate senior status.
- Vice-Admiral: step lower in rank than Admiral.
- Rear-Admiral: two steps lower in rank than Admiral.
- Admiralty: the department of government which administers the navy.
- Admiralty Board: committee of the Ministry of Defence (UK)
- Admiral: a butterfly of vivid colour belonging to the Nymphalid family.
Images for kids
An oil canvas portrait of Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson from 1799
Admiral Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.