Admiral is the highest rank in a navy. The term is used internationally by many countries. It derives originally from the Arabic word emīr (= commander), and came to English by way of Old French and Latin.
Variations on the term are:
- Admiral of the Fleet: originally, the Admiral in charge of an operational fleet, later used to designate senior status.
- Vice-Admiral: step lower in rank than Admiral.
- Rear-Admiral: two steps lower in rank than Admiral.
- Admiralty: the department of government which administers the navy.
- Admiralty Board: committee of the Ministry of Defence (UK)
- Admiral: a butterfly of vivid colour belonging to the Nymphalid family.
Admiral Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.