Anemia facts for kids
Types or causes of anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia overall
- Hemoglobinopathies—much rarer
- Sickle-cell disease (once called sickle-cell anemia)
- Megaloblastic anemia due to not having enough of either vitamin B12 or folic acid (or both)
- Pernicious anemia is an autoimmune problem with the parietal cells of the stomach
- Methotrexate, zidovudine, and other drugs that stop DNA replication. This is the most common cause in nonalcoholic patients.
Dimorphic anemia means two types of anemia at the same time. For example, macrocytic hypochromic, due to hookworm infestation leading to not enough of both iron and vitamin B12 or folic acid or following a blood transfusion.
Images for kids
Anemia Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.