Avaí F.C. facts for kids
|Full name||Avaí Futebol Clube|
|Nickname(s)||Leão da Ilha (Lion of the Island)|
|Founded||September 1, 1923|
|Ground||Ressacada, Florianópolis, Brazil|
|League||Campeonato Brasileiro Série A|
|2007||Campeonato Brasileiro Série B, 3th|
Avaí Futebol Clube, or Avaí as they are usually called, is a Brazilian football team from Florianópolis in Santa Catarina, founded on September 1, 1923. It became nationally known after the tennis player Gustavo Kuerten declared to be a supporter of Avaí. Home stadium is the Ressacada stadium, capacity 19,000. They play in blue shirts, shorts and socks.
- National competitions record
- First team squad
- Club colors and nickname
The club was founded after a businessman called Amadeu Horn gave football kits to a group of boys. These boys played a match against a team called Humaitá, and won. On September 1, 1923, at Amadeu Horn's house, the club was founded, being called at that time Avahy Football Club. The team was named Avahy after the Battle of Avahy, in the Paraguayan War In the following year, it became the first Santa Catarina State Championship champion.
Avaí played the Brazilian First Division ("Série A") four times: in 1974, 1976, 1977 and 1979. In 1998, it won its only national title, the Brazilian Third Division ("Série C"). Since 1999, it plays the Série B and the best campaigns happened in 2001 and 2004, when Avaí reached the Final Four, but could not be promoted to the First Division (only the two best placed teams were promoted). Avaí is the club with more titles won in the Santa Catarina State Championship in the 20th century (13).
- 1 Brazilian Third Division ("Série C"): 1998.
- 13 Santa Catarina State Championships: 1924, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1973, 1975, 1988 and 1997
- 2 Santa Catarina Governor Trophy: 1983 and 1985.
- 1 Santa Catarina State Second Division: 1994.
- 20 Florianópolis City Championships: 1924, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1933, 1938, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1958, 1960, 1963 and 1995.
- 1 Santa Catarina Cup: 1995.
- 4 Santa Catarina State Championships: 1981, 2001, 2003 and 2005
- 1 Santa Catarina State Second Division: 1994
- 1 Santa Catarina State Championship: 2003
- 1 Saudades Cup Championship: 2007
- 1 Santa Catarina State Championship: 1999
National competitions record
First Division (Serie A)
Second Division (Serie B)
Third Division (Serie C)
Avaí's stadium is Estádio da Ressacada, inaugurated in 1983, with a maximum capacity of 19,000 people.
First team squad
1920 - 1930
1940 - 1950
- Adolfo Martins Camilli (Adolfinho), goalkeeper.
- Hubert Beck, midfielder.
- João Felipe Zattar (Felipinho), striker.
- Osni Gonçalves (Nizeta), striker.
- Saul Oliveira, striker.
1960 - 1970
1970 - 1980
- Antônio Fernandes Quintino (Toninho), striker.
- Antônio Fidélis (Veneza), back.
- João Carlos da Silva (Balduíno), midfielder.
- Juarez dos Santos (Juti), striker.
- Zenon de Souza Farias, midfielder.
1980 - 1990
- Ubirajara Lopes de Oliveira (Bira Lopes), midfielder.
- Adílson Heleno, midfielder.
- Décio Antônio Corazza, striker.
- Édson Luís Benites Belmonte, midfielder.
- Jorge Daniel Fossati, goalkeeper.
1990 and 2000
- César Tadeu Silva, goalkeeper.
- Érmison José Leopoldo (Jacaré), striker.
- João Carlos Rocha (Dão), striker.
- Paulo César (PC), striker.
Avaí's greatest rival is Figueirense F.C..
Club colors and nickname
- The club colours are blue and white, and it is known as "The Lion of the Island" (because 90% of the Florianópolis territory is established on an island).
Avaí F.C. Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.