B. Sandhya facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Born||27 September 1963
Pala Kottayam, Kerala, India
B. Sandhya is an officer of the Indian Police Service and the Additional Director General of Kerala Police. She is also known for her literary contributions which have won her a number of awards including the Edasseri Award in 2007.
Sandhya is born to S. Bharathadas and V.L. Karthyayani Amma at Palai in Kottayam District. She is married to K. Madhukumar, former Controller of Examinations, University of Kerala, and has a daughter Hima.
She trained in Human Resources Management from Wollongong University, Australia in 1998 and passed the PGDBA from Pondicherry University in 1999. In 2005, she earned her PhD from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. Her dissertation was entitled "The Accessibility of Women to the Criminal Justice System and Customer Orientation of Police Personnel Towards Women".
Sandhya joined the Indian Police Service, after passing the Indian Civil Services Examination in 1988. She served as Assistant Superintendent of Police, Shornur, Joint Superintendent of Police, Alathur, Superintendent of Police, CBCID, Kannur, District Superintendent of Police, Kollam and Thrissur, Asst. Inspector General of Police, Headquarters, Thiruvananthapuram, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Crime Investigation, Southern Range, Thiruvananthapuram. Inspector General of Police Central Zone, Ernakulam. From 2016 Sandhya holds the post of Additional Director General of Police.
Awards and honours
In 2010, the International Association of Women Police (IAWP), based in the US, awarded Sandhya the International Scholarship of Distinction. In 2006, the Kerala Police awarded Sandhya the President's Police Medal for Meritorious Service. Her novel Neelakoduveliyude Kavalkkari won the Edasseri Award in 2007, Gopalakrishnan Kolazhi Award-2001, Abudabi Sakthi Award-2012, Kunjunni Puraskaram-2013, E.V Krishnapillai Sahithya Puraskaram-2019.
Literary and creative work
Sandhya has published many books of literature and several research papers in police science. In addition, Sandhya edited Impressions, a Short History of Kerala Police, published by the Director General of Police, Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram. She also conceptualised a website, Kerala Police History
Literary publications (Malayalam)
- Tharatthu (The Lullabies) – 1999, Saindhava Books
- Balavadi (The Nursery) – 2001, State Institute of Children's Literature. Won the Kolazhi Gopalakrishna Panikker memorial children's literature award.
- Kattarente Koottukari (Forest river my friend) – 2007, Poorna Publications
- Ethra Nalla Ammu (Ammu, how nice she is), Won Kunjunni Puraskaram 2013
- Attakkilikunnile Athbhudangal (The Wonders in the Sparrow Hill) – 2009, Novel, SPCS, Kottayam. Won Abudabi Sakthi Award – 2012
Collection of poems
- Ranthal Vilakku (The lantern) – 2002, current Books, Kottayam
- Neermaruthile Uppan (Greater coucal on the tree of Neermaruth) – 2004, Saindhava Books, Kollam
- Chempakam Nee Madangippokalle (Oh ! Chempa tree, Do not Return) -2013, SPCS, Kottayam
- Selected Poems of B.Sandhya – 2013, DC Books
- Sakthi Seetha - 2020, Mathrubhumi Books
- Neelakkoduvelitude Kavlkkari (The Protectress of Neelakkoduveli) – 2006, Mathrubhumi Books
- Ithihasathinte Ithalukal (Petals of the Epic) – 2015, Mathrubhumi Books.
B. Sandhya Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.