Bagley Township, Michigan facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Bagley Township, Michigan
|• Total||31.3 sq mi (81.1 km2)|
|• Land||28.6 sq mi (74.1 km2)|
|• Water||2.7 sq mi (6.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,306 ft (398 m)|
|• Density||203.9/sq mi (78.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625873|
- The city of Gaylord is to the north and incorporates land within the survey township corresponding to Bagley Township. The Gaylord post office with ZIP code 49735 also serves all of Bagley Township.
- Arbutus Beach is a small unincorporated resort settlement on the eastern side of Otsego Lake (Michigan) at near the southern boundary with Otsego Lake Township. It is named for its location on Otsego Lake and the Trailing Arbutus commonly found in the surrounding woodlands.
- Bagley was an area in the township built around a station on the Michigan Central Railroad. It had a post office that operated under the name of Mellens.
- Eyedylwild Beach is an unincorporated community on the northwest side of Otsego Lake at .
- Oak Grove is an unincorporated community on the eastern side of Otsego Lake at . It was developed by Oris W. Farrar and named after a grove of oak trees.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 31.3 square miles (81 km2), of which, 28.6 square miles (74 km2) of it is land and 2.7 square miles (7.0 km2) of it (8.56%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,838 people, 2,189 households, and 1,613 families residing in the township. The population density was 203.9 per square mile (78.7/km²). There were 3,019 housing units at an average density of 105.5 per square mile (40.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.48% White, 0.22% African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 1.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.77% of the population.
There were 2,189 households out of which 37.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.4% were married couples living together, 10.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.3% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.8% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 10.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,205, and the median income for a family was $50,727. Males had a median income of $36,723 versus $21,388 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,116. About 5.8% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 9.6% of those age 65 or over.
Bagley Township, Michigan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.