Berwyn, Alberta facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
|Village of Berwyn|
|Planning region||Upper Peace|
|• Village||November 28, 1936|
|• Land||1.57 km2 (0.61 sq mi)|
|Elevation||643 m (2,110 ft)|
|• Density||366.6/km2 (949/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (MDT)|
Berwyn is a village in northwestern Alberta, Canada. It is located approximately 37 km (23 mi) west of the Town of Peace River, 10 km (6.2 mi) southwest of the Town of Grimshaw, and 15 km (9.3 mi) northeast of the Duncan's First Nation reserve.
|Source: Statistics Canada
In the 2021 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Village of Berwyn recorded a population of577 living in 237 of its 274 total private dwellings, a change of 7.2% from its 2016 population of 538. With a land area of 1.57 km2 (0.61 sq mi), it had a population density of 367.5/km2 (952/sq mi) in 2021.
In the 2016 Census of Population conducted by Statistics Canada, the Village of Berwyn recorded a population of 538 living in 232 of its 255 total private dwellings, a 2.3% change from its 2011 population of 526. With a land area of 1.58 km2 (0.61 sq mi), it had a population density of 340.5/km2 (882/sq mi) in 2016.
- Tower Park Recreational Area – features nature and cross country ski trails, camping stalls, picnic areas, two tennis courts, three baseball diamonds and bird watching areas
- Queen Elizabeth Provincial Park – located 15 km (9.3 mi) northeast of Berwyn, the park has 56 camping stalls, water skiing, boating and picnicking
- Lac Cardinal Recreation Area – located 11 km (6.8 mi) north of Berwyn, Lac Cardinal offers the Bear Lake Recreation Area and Rodeo Grounds
- Berwyn Arena – offers skating, hockey and meeting facilities
- Peace Valley Guest Ranch – offers outdoor adventure including river cruise, trail riding, hiking, mini golf and bird watching
- Alberta Pond Hockey Championships in February at Lac Cardinal
- Volunteer Week Celebrations in April
- Senior Citizens Week Celebrations in June
- Annual Christmas Parade in December
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration in December
Regional planning service, Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency is located in downtown Berwyn. The M.D of Peace No. 135 also has its municipal office in Berwyn.
Lloyd Garrison School is the only school located in Berwyn. It is an K-6 elementary institution administered by the Peace River School Division (PRSD). Junior and Senior high students are bussed to either Grimshaw or Peace River. Separate school students are also bussed from Berwyn to Grimshaw. In the 2009/10 school year, junior high enrolment at the school dropped to a total of 25 students, which triggered the PRSD to initiate a low enrolment review.
Post-secondary education is available at Northern Lakes College in the Peace River Campus and Fairview Campus of Grande Prairie Regional College in the Town of Fairview.
Berwyn, Alberta Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.