Blanche River (Etchemin River tributary) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsBlanche River
|Native name||Rivière Blanche|
|Other name(s)||Old name: Rivière Etchemin Nord-Est|
|MRC||Les Etchemins Regional County Municipality|
727 metres (2,385 ft)
|River mouth||Etchemin River
432 metres (1,417 ft)
|Length||10.5 kilometres (6.5 mi)|
|Progression||Etchemin River, St. Lawrence River|
- MRC Bellechasse Regional County Municipality: municipalité of Saint-Philémon;
- MRC Les Etchemins Regional County Municipality: municipalities of Saint-Magloire and Saint-Luc-de-Bellechasse.
The main neighboring watersheds of the Blanche river are:
- north side: Beaudoin stream, Milieu stream, rivière du Pin, Gabriel River;
- east side: Etchemin River;
- south side: Etchemin River;
- west side: Dix stream, Bœuf River.
The Blanche river has its source in the Massif du Sud, in the Notre Dame Mountains, in the municipality of Saint-Luc-de-Bellechasse. This spring is located 10.4 kilometres (6.5 mi) south of the center of the village of Saint-Philémon and 3.1 kilometres (1.9 mi) south-east of the summit of mont du Midi.
From its source, the Blanche river flows in a forest zone over 10.5 kilometres (6.5 mi) distributed according to the following segments:
- 1.4 kilometres (0.87 mi) towards the south in Saint-Philémon, to the municipal limit of Saint-Magloire;
- 0.6 kilometres (0.37 mi) towards the south, in Saint-Magloire;
- 3.2 kilometres (2.0 mi) south, to the 12e-Rang road;
- 3.8 kilometres (2.4 mi) towards the south-east, up to the 10th Rang;
- 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) south-east, then south-west, to its confluence.
The Blanche river flows onto the north bank of the Etchemin River which here constitutes the municipal limit between Saint-Luc-de-Bellechasse and Sainte-Sabine. The confluence of the Blanche river is located upstream of the confluence of the Bourget river and 4.8 kilometres (3.0 mi) east of the center of the village of Saint-Luc-de-Bellechasse.
The toponym Rivière Blanche was formalized on 18 July 1973 at the Commission de toponymie du Québec. Before 1973, its official name was Rivière Etchemin Nord-Est although its current name was visible on some maps long before its officialization.
Blanche River (Etchemin River tributary) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.