British Rail Class 205 facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsBritish Rail Class 205
Class 205, no. 205009 at London Victoria station
on 15 August 2003
|Number built||34 trainsets|
|Formation||2/3 cars per trainset|
|Maximum speed||75mph (121 km/h)|
|Prime mover(s)||English Electric 4-cylinder type 4SRKT Mark II of 600 bhp (450 kW) at 850 rpm|
Due to a generous disposal policy by Porterbrook Leasing, nearly all of the final units in service were preserved. The only unit not preserved was no. 205012, which had poor bodywork and donated its engine to the only surviving unrefurbished Class 207 unit.
- 205001 - East Kent Railway (2-car unit)
- 205008 - (DTCsoL 60820) Preserved by the Hastings Diesels Group at St Leonards-on-Sea, on loan to the Lavender Line (Can operate with unit 205033)
- 205009 - Eden Valley Railway (3-car unit)
- 205018 - (DTCsoL 60828 from 205029) Lavender Line (2-car unit)
- 205023 - (DTCsoL 60822) and TSO 60669 (from 205024) at Swindon and Cricklade Railway. TSO 60669 will be stripped for spares to restore DTCsoL 60822 and then scrapped. DMBS 60122 at Lavender Line)
- 205025 - Mid-Hants Railway (2-car unit)
- 205027 - (DMBSO 60145) Stored at St Leonards Depot with DMBSO 60149
- 205028 - Dartmoor Railway (3-car unit)
- 205031 - (DMBSO 60149) Stored at St Leonards Depot with DMBSO 60145
- 205032 - Dartmoor Railway (3-car unit)
- 205033 - (TSO 60678 at Cold Norton, DMBS 60151 and DTCsoL 60832 at Lavender Line)(60151 can operate with DTCsoL 60820)
- 205205 - Epping Ongar Railway (2-car unit)
Images for kids
205009 in Connex South Central colours in 2004 at East Croydon prior to preservation.
British Rail Class 205 Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.