Corky Laing facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Laing; February, 2016, Hamburg
|Birth name||Laurence Gordon Laing|
|Born||January 26, 1948
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- With Mountain
- With West, Bruce and Laing
- With Leslie West & Leslie West Band
- With Bartholomew plus III
- With Corn
- As Corky Laing
- With Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson and Felix Pappalardi
- With The Mix
- With Corky Laing and the Perfect Child
- As Corky Laing's Mountain
- Guest appearances
Laing is Jewish. A native of Montreal, Quebec, Laing was the youngest in a family of five children. His eldest sister Carol was followed by triplet brothers, Jeffrey, Leslie, and Stephen, and then by Corky. According to Corky, his brothers called him "Gorky" because they could not pronounce his given name "Gordon". "Gorky" eventually morphed into Corky, a moniker which has remained with him throughout his career.
Getting his break playing drums for vocal group The Ink Spots in 1961, he later played in a group called Energy, who was produced by Cream collaborator and Laing's future bandmate Felix Pappalardi. Laing left Energy in 1969 to replace drummer N.D. Smart in a hard rock outfit and heavy metal forerunner Mountain, who, with Laing at the drum kit, released three albums and the classic song "Mississippi Queen" between 1970 and 1971.
After the band's first breakup the following year, Laing and Mountain bandmate Leslie West went on to form blues-rock power trio West, Bruce and Laing with former Cream bassist/vocalist Jack Bruce. West, Bruce and Laing produced two studio albums and a live release before Mountain reformed without Laing in 1974 and released two more albums, Avalanche (with Laing) and the live Twin Peaks (without Laing), only to break up again shortly after. The band would once again reconvene with Laing in 1985 upon the release of Go For Your Life, and Laing has continued with them to this day, most recently working on the band's 2007 Bob Dylan cover album Masters of War.
In addition to Mountain, he has recorded as the group Cork, with Spin Doctors guitarist/vocalist Eric Schenkman and Noel Redding, formerly bass guitarist of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. In late 1975, he played congas on several tracks on Bo Diddley's all-star album The 20th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll.
In 1991, he was featured on Men Without Hats's cover version of The Beatles's song "I Am the Walrus" on drums. This is available on the Sideways album.
In 2003, Laing and Leslie West authored Nantucket Sleighride and Other Mountain on-the-Road Stories, a chronicle of their time with Mountain in its heyday and their careers in the years following.
Laing lives in Toronto's historic Liberty Village and was interviewed for the 2006 documentary film, Liberty Village - Somewhere in Heaven. He contributed the music for the film from recordings of his band Cork.
In 2007, Laing recorded Stick It!, the audio version of his memoirs with Cory Bruyea in Oakville, Ontario. Laing's interest in education led him to attend the KoSA Music Camp in Vermont for the summer of 2012.
In 2019, he released his autobiography, Letters to Sarah.
- Bo Diddley
- Mahogany Rush
- John Lennon
- Bobby Keys
- Ten Years After
- David Rea
- Mylon LeFevre
- Meat Loaf
- Mick Ronson
- Climbing! (1970)
- Nantucket Sleighride (1971)
- Flowers of Evil (1971; partially live)
- Avalanche (1974)
- Go for Your Life (1985)
- Man's World (1996)
- Mystic Fire (2002)
- Masters of War (2007)
- Mountain Live: The Road Goes Ever On (1972)
- Eruption (2004)
- The Best of Mountain (1973)
- Over the Top (2001)
With West, Bruce and Laing
- 1972 – Why Dontcha
- 1973 – Whatever Turns You On
- 1974 – Live 'n' Kickin'
With Leslie West & Leslie West Band
- 1975 – The Great Fatsby
- 1976 – The Leslie West Band
- 2005 – Guitarded
With Bartholomew plus III
- 1965 – "She's Mine" / "You're Not There"
- 1967 – "When I Fall in Love"
- 1999 – Speed of THought
- 2003 – Out There
As Corky Laing
- 1977 – Making It On The Streets
- 2019 – Toledo Sessions
With Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson and Felix Pappalardi
- 1999 – The Secret Sessions
With The Mix
- 1980 – American Glue
With Corky Laing and the Perfect Child
- 2013 – Playing God
As Corky Laing's Mountain
- 2017 – Live in Melle
- 2019 - Live At Howard's Club H
- 1969 – David Rea – Maverick Child, drums
- 1971 – David Rea – By the Grace of God, drums
- 1972 – Bobby Keys – Bobby Keys, drums
- 1976 – Bo Diddley – The 20th Anniversary of Rock N' Roll, congas
- 1987 – Charlie Karp & the Name Droppers – Charlie Karp & the Name Droppers, percussion
- 1991 – Men Without Hats – Sideways, on "I Am the Walrus", drums
- 2004: Jason Hartless Jr. – First Division
- 2012: Corky Laing and The Memory Thieves – House of Thieves
- 2018: Pompeii – The Secret Sessions
Corky Laing Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.