East Durham, New York facts for kids
|East Durham, New York|
|Elevation||535 ft (163 m)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||12423 (Greene)|
|GNIS feature ID||959100|
East Durham is a hamlet within the town of Durham, New York, which is located in the U.S. state of New York, approximately 535 feet (163 m) above sea level, in Greene County. It has the ZIP Code 12423 and the area code 518.
East Durham is known for its Irish heritage and cultural promotion. The town attracts many Irish-American visitors during the summer months who stay at its many Irish motels. East Durham contains several significant cultural attractions including:
- Zoom Flume- full service waterpark with many slides rides and pools designed for families.
- Woodward Road Stone Arch Bridge- historical bridge listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Supersonic Speedway- Mini Amusement park with miniature golf, go-karts, batting cages and arcade.
- Lawyer's- Old-style general store and deli
- East Durham Irish cultural center- Site for annual carnival, Irish feis, and contains flag display of Irish counties.
- Guaranteed Irish USA- Irish gift shop; one of the largest Irish import stores in the U.S
In addition to this the town is home to numerous Irish pubs and restaurants and a post office and fire department. The town also sees many visitors for the fall foliage season, along with golfers and hikers.
- Irish Village USA, http://www.irishvillageusa.com/
East Durham, New York Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.