The 1954 Japanese movie poster
|Directed by||Ishirō Honda|
|Produced by||Tomoyuki Tanaka|
|Screenplay by||Ishirō Honda
|Story by||Shigeru Kayama|
|Music by||Akira Ifukube|
|Editing by||Kazuji Taira|
|Release date(s)||November 3, 1954|
|Running time||96 minutes|
Godzilla (ゴジラ Gojira) is a 1954 Japanese science fiction kaiju movie. It was produced by Tomoyuki Tanaka and was directed by Ishirō Honda. The movie was distributed by Toho. It was the first of many kaiju movies that would be released in Japan. The movie is about Godzilla, a giant mutated monster, terrorizing Japan.
The opening scene of the Eiko Maru being obliterated by Godzilla's first attack and later scenes of survivors of other attacks being found with radiation burns, were inspired by the 1954 U.S. testing of a hydrogen bomb on Bikini Atoll.
It gained positive reviews from critics and holds a 94% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Akira Takarada as Hideto Ogata
- Momoko Kōchi as Emiko Yamane
- Akihiko Hirata as Daisuke Serizawa
- Takashi Shimura as Dr. Kyohei Yamane
- Fuyuki Murakami as Dr. Tanabe
- Sachio Sakai as Hagiwara
- Ren Yamamoto as Masaji
- Toyoaki Suzuki as Shinkichi (Masaji's younger brother)
- Tsuruko Umano as Shinkichi's mother
- Tadashi Okabe as Assistant of Dr. Tanabe
- Jiro Mitsuaki as Employee of Nankai Salvage Company
- Ren Imaizumi as Radio Officer Nankai Salvage Company
- Kenji Sahara as Partygoer
- Sokichi Maki as Chief at Maritime Safety Agency
- Haruo Nakajima as Godzilla, the King of the Monsters who was mutated by the radiation of the H-Bomb & a reporter
- Katsumi Tezuka as Godzilla (as Nakajima's Stunt Double) & Editor Yamada
Godzilla (1954 movie) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.