Lane Cove North facts for kids
|Lane Cove North
Sydney, New South Wales
Helen Street Reserve,
Lane Cove North
|Population||9,337 (2011 census)|
|Established||20 January 2006|
|Location||11 km (7 mi) NW of Sydney CBD|
|State electorate(s)||Lane Cove|
|Federal Division(s)||North Sydney (Lane Cove) Bradfield (Willoughby)|
Lane Cove North is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Lane Cove North is located 11 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of the Municipality of Lane Cove and the City of Willoughby. Lane Cove and Lane Cove West are separate suburbs.
Boundaries are Pacific Highway in east, Epping Road in the south, Lane Cove River in the west and Chatswood Golf Course in the north. The Local Government boundary is Mowbray Road.
The suburb of Lane Cove was founded as a World War II veterans' home grant area.
Lane Cove North became a separate suburb on 20 January 2006.
In 2005, the area briefly caught the attention of the world's press when part of an apartment block collapsed into an excavation for the Lane Cove Tunnel and a pet bird in the evacuated block was rescued by a robot. The area is undergoing lots of redevelopment. Most notably cheap unit blocks with poor construction.
- Tantallon Oval, cnr Epping Road and Tantallon Street
- Chatswood War Memorial Athletic Field, Mowbray Road
- Batten Creek Reserve, Kullah Parade
- Stringybark Reserve, Karilla Avenue
- Helen Street Reserve, Helen Street
- Mindarie Park, Cnr Mindarie and Kullah Streets
- Coolaroo Park, Moola Parade
- Girraween Park, Girraween Street
- Stokes Park, Stokes Street
- Mowbray Park, Ulm Street
- Mowbray Primary Oval, Hatfield Street
At the 2011 census, the suburb of Lane Cove North recorded a population of 9,337. Of these:
- Age distribution: Residents had a similar range of ages to the country overall. The median age was 35 years, compared to the national median of 37 years. Children aged under 15 years made up 17.2% of the population (national average is 19.3%) and people aged 65 years and over made up 12.1% of the population (national average is 14.0%).
- Ethnic diversity : 56% were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 70%; the next most common countries of birth were China 4.6%, England 4.6%, India 2.4%, New Zealand 2.1%, and Hong Kong 0.6%. At home, 100% of residents only spoke English.
- Finances: The median household weekly income was $1,837, compared to the national median of $1,234. This difference is also reflected in real estate prices, with the median mortgage payment in Lane Cove North being $2,500 per month, compared to the national median of $1,800.
- Transport: On the day of the Census, 31% of employed people traveled to work on public transport, and 48% by car (either as driver or as passenger).
- Housing: Nearly two-thirds (61%) of occupied private dwellings were flats, units or apartments; 32% were separate houses, and 6% were semi-detached (row or terrace houses, townhouses etc.). The average household size was 2.3 people.
- Religion: The most common religious affiliation was "No Religion" (27%); the next most common responses were Catholic 24%, Anglican 16%, Uniting Church 4% and Buddhism 3%.
Lane Cove North Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.