List of Republic of Ireland food and drink products with protected status facts for kids
A number of Irish food and drink products have been granted Protected Geographical Status under European Union law through the Protected Designation of Origin (PDO), Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) or Traditional Speciality Guaranteed (TSG) regimes. The legislation is designed to protect regional foods and came into force in 1992.
This list is sourced from the official index published by the European Commission.
- Clare Island Salmon (PGI)
- Connemara Hill Lamb Uain Sléibhe Chonamara (PGI)
- Irish whiskey/uisce beatha (PGI; shared with Northern Ireland)
- Imokilly Regato (PDO)
- Timoleague Brown Pudding (PGI)
- Waterford Blaa (PGI)
- Oriel Sea Minerals (PDO)
- Oriel Sea Salt (PDO)
- Sneem Black Pudding (PGI)
Applied for designation:
- Irish Salmon (applied for PGI in August 2013)
List of Republic of Ireland food and drink products with protected status Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.