List of extinct volcanoes facts for kids(Redirected from List of extinct volcanos)
List of extinct volcanoes includes volcanoes which scientists consider unlikely to erupt again. A volcano which has not erupted in the past 10,000 years is often listed as extinct.
Volcanologists sometimes can't tell whether a volcano is extinct or dormant. A caldera that has not produced an eruption in tens of thousands of years is likely to be considered inactive. Dormant volcanos may still erupt, whereas extinct ones cannot.
There are many examples of extinct volcanoes.
- Ben Nevis, the tallest mountain in the United Kingdom.
- Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain in the northern Pacific Ocean
- Huascarán in Peru
- Kyushu-Palau Ridge in the Philippine Sea
- Mount Buninyong in Victoria Australia
- The Nut in Tasmania Australia
- Tamu Massif in the Northwest Pacific Ocean
- Waw an-Namus in Lybia
- Edinburgh Castle in Scotland is located on a dolerite plug, the remnant of a volcano that went extinct many millions of years ago.
- Blue Lake (South Australia)
List of extinct volcanoes Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.