Norfolk Marine Park facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsNorfolk Marine Park
IUCN Category IV (Habitat/Species Management Area)
|Area||188,444 km2 (72,759 sq mi)|
|Established||1 July 2018|
The Norfolk Marine Park (formerly known as the Norfolk Commonwealth Marine Reserve) is an Australian marine park located in the waters immediately offshore of Norfolk Island, an external territory of Australia. The marine park extends 700 km (430 mi) in a north–south direction and covers an area of 188,444 km2 (72,759 sq mi). The park is assigned IUCN category IV and is one of 8 parks managed under the Temperate East Marine Parks Network.
Species and habitat
- Biologically important areas for protected humpback whales and a number of migratory seabirds.
- The Tasman Front is a region of intermediate productivity that separates the warm, nutrient-poor waters of the Coral Sea from the cold, nutrient-rich waters of the Tasman Sea. It supports high productivity; aggregations of marine life; biodiversity and endemism in the region.
- Includes benthic habitats thought to act as stepping stones for faunal dispersal, connecting deep-water fauna from New Caledonia to New Zealand.
Bioregions and ecology
- Examples of the ecosystems of the Norfolk Island Province provincial bioregion.
- Represents bank/shoals, basin, canyon, deep/hole/valley, knoll/abyssal-hills/hills/mountains/peak, pinnacle, plateau, ridge, saddle, seamount/guyot, shelf, slope, trench/trough.
- Norfolk Ridge (high productivity, aggregations of marine life; biodiversity and endemism).
The marine park was proclaimed under the EPBC Act on 14 December 2013 and renamed Norfolk Marine Park on 9 October 2017. The management plan and protection measures of the marine park came into effect for the first time on 1 July 2018.
Summary of protection zones
The Norfolk Marine Park has been assigned IUCN protected area category IV. However, within the marine park there are three protection zones, each zone has an IUCN category and related rules for managing activities to ensure the protection of marine habitats and species.
The following table is a summary of the zoning rules within the Norfolk Marine Park:
|Zone||IUCN||Activities permitted||Total area
|Vessel transiting||Recreational fishing||Commercial fishing||Commercial aquaculture||Commercial tourism||Mining|
|National Park||II||Yes||No||No||No||excludes fishing, with approval||No||41,661|
|Habitat Protection||IV||Yes||Yes||most, with approval||with approval||with approval||No||138,796|
|Special Purpose (Norfolk)||VI||Yes||Yes||most, with approval||with approval||with approval||No||7,986|
|External link: Zoning and rules for the Temperate East Marine Parks Network|
Norfolk Marine Park Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.