Nova Scotia Museum facts for kids
|Location||Nova Scotia, Canada|
Nova Scotia Museum (NSM) is the corporate name for the 27 museums across Nova Scotia, Canada, and is part of the province's tourism infrastructure. The organization manages more than 200 historic buildings, living history sites, vessels, specialized museums and about one million artifacts and specimens, either directly or through a system of co-operative agreements with societies and local boards. The NSM delivers programs, exhibits and products which provide both local residents and tourists in Nova Scotian communities an opportunity to experience and learn about Nova Scotia's social and natural history. More than 600,000 people visit the facilities each year.
The NSM was created by the Nova Scotia Museum Act, a provincial legislation.
The Nova Scotia Museum began with the collection of the Mechanics Institute in Halifax, founded in December 1831. The museum was formally established in 1868. The Rev. Dr. David Honeyman was the first curator. He was followed by Harry Piers, who as curator from 1899 to 1940 oversaw a steady expansion of the museum's collection.
As well as managing and maintaining historical collections, the museum has sponsored the publication of many historical books, pamphlets and other documents.
The museum staff and volunteers undertake a variety of restoration projects, create cultural and natural history displays, and participate in historical reenactments.
The organization also issues Heritage Research Permits, allowing scientists to collect and study fossils and other archaeological artifacts.
Images for kids
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax
Prescott House Museum, Starr's Point, NS
Uniacke Estate Museum Park, Mount Uniacke, NS
List of individual museums
- The Acadian Village of Nova Scotia, Isle Madame
- Balmoral Grist Mill Museum, Balmoral
- Barrington Woolen Mill, Barrington
- Barrington Old Meeting House, Barrington
- Cossit House, Sydney
- Dory Shop Museum, Shelburne
- Firefighters' Museum of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth
- Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, Lunenburg
- Fisherman's Life Museum, Oyster Pond
- Fundy Geological Museum, Parrsboro
- Haliburton House Museum, Windsor
- Highland Village Museum/An Clachan Gàidhealach, Iona
- Lawrence House Museum, Maitland
- Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax
- McCulloch House Museum, Pictou
- Nova Scotia Museum of Industry, Stellarton
- Nova Scotia Museum of Natural History, Halifax
- North Hills Museum, Granville Ferry
- Perkins House Museum, Liverpool
- Prescott House Museum, Starrs Point
- Ross Farm Museum, New Ross
- Ross-Thomson House Museum, Shelburne
- Shand House Museum, Windsor
- Sherbrooke Village, Sherbrooke
- Sutherland Steam Mill Museum, Denmark
- Uniacke Estate Museum Park, Mount Uniacke
- Wile Carding Mill, Bridgewater
Nova Scotia Museum Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.