Owosso Township, Michigan facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Owosso Township, Michigan
|Owosso Charter Township|
Location within Shiawassee County
|• Total||32.15 sq mi (83.3 km2)|
|• Land||31.61 sq mi (81.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.74 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|Elevation||768 ft (234 m)|
|• Density||152.5/sq mi (58.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626876|
Owosso Township, formally named Owosso Charter Township, is a charter township of Shiawassee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The population was 4,821 at the 2010 census. The township borders the city of Owosso on the east, but the two are administered autonomously.
- The City of Owosso is located on the east side of the township, but is administratively autonomous.
- Burton is an unincorporated community along S. Baldwin Road, which separated Owosso Township from adjacent Middlebury Township, at McBride Road. It was first established under the name Mungerville in 1864 but renamed to Burton in 1878. It is at , about 4.5 miles west of the city of Owosso.
- Five Points, also referred to as Five Points West or West Five Points, is an unincorporated community in the township at M-21, Priest Road and Smith Road.
- Smith Crossing is an unincorporated community in the township at Wilkinson and Smith roads near the Great Lakes Central Railroad crossing.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.4 square miles (84 km2), of which 32.4 square miles (84 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.09%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,670 people, 1,816 households, and 1,334 families residing in the township. The population density was 144.3 per square mile (55.7/km2). There were 1,898 housing units at an average density of 58.6 per square mile (22.6/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.73% White, 0.15% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.64% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.35% of the population.
There were 1,816 households, out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.7% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.5% were non-families. 22.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the township the population was spread out, with 24.8% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $41,500, and the median income for a family was $46,863. Males had a median income of $40,778 versus $21,560 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,772. About 3.1% of families and 6.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 10.6% of those age 65 or over.
- Owosso Community Airport is located just east in Caledonia Township.
Owosso Township, Michigan Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.