Parramatta railway station facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Eastbound view from Platform 2 in November 2011
|Location||Argyle Street, Parramatta|
|Owned by||Transport Asset Holding Entity|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||23.21 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||4 (2 side, 1 island)|
|Website||Transport for NSW|
|Opened||2 July 1860|
|Passengers (2018)||92,950 (daily) (Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink)|
Parramatta railway station is a heritage-listed railway station located on the Main Western line, serving Parramatta in New South Wales, Australia. It is served by Sydney Trains T1 Western Line, T2 Inner West & Leppington and T5 Cumberland Line services and NSW TrainLink Blue Mountains Line, Central West XPT and Outback Xplorer services.
Parramatta station is one of Sydney's oldest. Sydney's first line connected Sydney and Parramatta Junction near Granville and opened on 26 September 1855. It was extended to the current Parramatta station on 4 July 1860.
Prior to the Main Western line being quadrupled from Granville to Westmead in 1985, the station consisted of four platforms, platforms 3 and 4 on the main line and 1 and 2 on a loop.
In 1985, the station was refurbished with a new underground subway bus interchange built at the station's north-east side.
In late 2003, work began on a new transport interchange which linked the station to the neighbouring Westfield Parramatta shopping centre. The works included upgrading the station, providing more access to commuters, and constructing a new bus interchange. On 19 February 2006 the interchange was opened.
In October 2016, the Parramatta Turnback Project was completed, adding crossovers to allow trains to terminate on platforms 3-4 in either direction.
The Darcy Street entrance to the station is closed from 1 September 2018 to late 2019 while improvements are made to the station.
Parramatta metro station will be located around a block to the north of the current station and is planned to open in the late 2020s.
Platforms and services
|1||Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Hornsby or beyond via Gordon|
|Template:Blue Mountains Line box||Services to Central||Most weekday services depart from here.|
|Services to Central||XPT services and Xplorer Services from Dubbo and Broken Hill (Set down only)|
|CCN||Services to Gosford and Wyong||6 afternoon peak services|
|2||Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Richmond & Penrith or Emu Plains||Most weekday services depart from here.|
|Template:Blue Mountains Line box||Services to Springwood, Katoomba, Mount Victoria & Lithgow
2 evening services to Bathurst
|Services to Dubbo & Broken Hill||Pick up only|
|CCN||Express services to Blacktown||6 morning peak services|
|3||Template:Sydney Trains T||Weekday terminating services, returning as services to the City Circle||Only operates in the middle of the day.|
|Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Leppington, Schofields and Richmond||T5 Trains leave from here on weekdays in both directions as Platform 4 is mainly used to terminate T2 line trains|
|Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Hornsby or beyond via Gordon||Mainly on weekends. Some Richmond services depart from here on weekday evenings.|
|4||Template:Sydney Trains T||Weekday terminating services, returning as services to the City Circle|
|Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Schofields and Richmond||T5 Trains mainly leave from here on weekends and during late nights on weekdays|
|Template:Sydney Trains T||Services to Richmond & Penrith or Emu Plains||Richmond services depart from here only on weekdays off-peak and weekends. Penrith services depart from here only early in the morning, late at night or on weekends.|
Parramatta station has a large bus interchange located on the west side of the station between platform 4 and Westfield Parramatta. It serves a large number of routes operated by State Transit, Transit Systems Sydney, Hillsbus and Transdev NSW.
- Arrivals Only
- 546: To Epping via Oatlands & North Rocks
- 549: To Epping via North Rocks
- 550: To Macquarie Park via Epping
- 552: To Oatlands
- 609: To North Parramatta
- 625: To Pennant Hills
- M92: To Sutherland
- NightRide route N60: Fairfield to City Town Hall
- NightRide route N70: Penrith to City Town Hall
- NightRide route N71: Richmond to City Town Hall
- NightRide route N81: To City Town Hall via Sydney Olympic Park
- 520: To City Circular Quay via West Ryde
- 521: To Eastwood
- 523: To West Ryde
- 524: To Ryde via West Ryde
- 525: To Burwood via Sydney Olympic Park
- 545: To Macquarie Park
- M52: To City Circular Quay (Limited Stops)
- 600: To Hornsby
- 601: To Rouse Hill Town Centre via Hills Showground
- 603: To Rouse Hill Town Centre via Glenhaven
- 604: To Dural via Glenhaven
- 606: To Winston Hills
- 706: To Blacktown via Winston Hills
- 906: To Fairfield
- 907: To Bankstown via Bass Hill
- 909: To Bankstown via Auburn & Birrong
- M91: To Hurstville via Chester Hill & Padstow
- 802: To Liverpool via Green Valley
- 804: To Liverpool via Hinchinbrook
- 806: To Liverpool via Abbotsbury
- 810: To Merrylands via Pemulwuy
- 810X: To Merrylands via Great Western Highway
- 811: To Pemulwuy via Hilltop Road
- 811X: To Pemulwuy
- NightRide route N60: City Town Hall to Fairfield
- NightRide route N70: City Town Hall to Penrith
- NightRide route N71: City Town Hall to Richmond
- T-Way route T80: To Liverpool via T-way
- Arrivals Only
- 660: To Castlewood
- 661: To Blacktown via North West T-Way & Kings Langley
- 662: To Castle Hill via North West T-Way & Bella Vista
- 663: To Rouse Hill Station via Kellyville Ridge
- 664: To Rouse Hill Station via Kellyville
- 665: To Rouse Hill Station
- 700: To Blacktown
- 705: To Blacktown via Seven Hills
- 708: To Constitution Hill via Pendle Hill
- 711: To Blacktown via Wentworthville
- 712: To Westmead Childrens Hospital
Route 535 operates from Valentine Avenue as a shuttle service to Carlingford while the Parramatta Light Rail is constructed. This routes stops at all the former stations along the former Carlingford Line except Rosehill Station.
As part of the Parramatta Turnback project, an additional crossover from the Up Main to the Down Main was constructed (not shown) west of the station.
Parramatta railway station Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.