Peter Sumner facts for kids
Quick facts for kids
Peter Malcolm Sumner-Potts
29 January 1942
Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
|Died||22 November 2016
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Peter Malcolm Sumner-Potts (29 January 1942 – 22 November 2016), professionally known as Peter Sumner, was an Australian actor, director and writer. He had a long career in theatre, television and film.
His credits include parts in such films as Color Me Dead (1969), Ned Kelly (1970), The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978), The Survivor (1981) and Bush Christmas (1983), as well as a starring role in television series Spyforce along with his portrayal of Bill Hayden in The Dismissal. In an interview in 1978 for the Sir Joseph Banks High School newspaper, he revealed that he had an uncredited role off stage, controlling the Dianoga (garbage compactor monster) in Star Wars, as well as playing the role of Lieutenant Pol Treidum in that film. Sumner played Arnie in the first series of the British science fiction drama television series Jeopardy in 2002, filmed in Australia.
Other local television acting work included regular roles as Bruce Jefferson in Tickled Pink (1978–81), Phillip Seymour in All the Way (1988), Reverend Green in Cluedo (1992), and Les Bailey in Heartbreak High (1997–99), along with numerous guest roles in series including Homicide, Division 4, Matlock Police, Boney, The Sullivans, Cop Shop, Neighbours, E Street, The Flying Doctors and Home and Away.
Sumner was a follower of Meher Baba and directed a TV documentary, Baba's Birthday, shot in India, produced by Sensory Image, with music by Pete Townshend. The documentary follows Sumner's son, Luke Sumner, as he journeys to India in search of spiritual meaning.
Sumner was a high school teacher before he started acting. He and his wife Lynda Stoner remained married until his death.
Sumner also served a stint as a presenter on Play School, mainly acting as a stand-in for John Hamblin.
He died aged 74, after a long illness on 22 November 2016.
- They're a Weird Mob (1966) - Bit Part (uncredited)
- Color Me Dead (1969) - Stanley Phillips
- Ned Kelly (1970) - Tom Lloyd
- The Lost Islands (1976 TV series) - Christian Dobler
- Star Wars (1977) - Lt. Pol Treidum (uncredited)
- The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978) - Dowie Steed
- The King of the Two Day Wonder (1978)
- Middle Age Spread (1979) - Reg
- Run Rebecca, Run (1981) - Mr. Dimitros
- The Survivor (1981) - Tewson
- Bush Christmas (1983) - Ben Thompson
- Seeing Red (1992) - Gorman
- Moby Dick (1998) - Captain Gardiner
- Ektopos (2011) - Zebediah
- Ryder Country (2012) - Professor Ed Woodman
- The Quarantine Hauntings (2015) - Dr. Henry Dickenson (final film role)
Peter Sumner Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.