Map of Azerbaijan showing Shamkir Rayon
|• executive head||Nazim Veysov|
|• Total||1,660 km2 (640 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+5 (AZT)|
Shamkir is a rayon in Azerbaijan. It is in the northwestern part of the country. The rayon was called "Shamkhor" during the Soviet rule. It was renamed Shamkir in 1991. The district was formed in 1930. The capital of Shamkir Rayon is Shamkir city.
- Ahmad Javad, writer, author of National Anthem of Azerbaijan
- Farman Salmanov, famous Azerbaijani and Soviet geologist
- Yaqub Hajıyev, academician
- Fazil Mammadov, Minister of Taxes of Azerbaijan Republic
- Rustam Aliyev, academician and professor
- Zakir Abdullayev, geologist
- Eldar Məsimov, professor and dean at Baku State University
- Vaqif Seyidov, Surgeon General at Leyla Shikhlinskaya Clinic in Baku
- Leyla Bədirbəyli, famous Azerbaijani and Soviet actress
- Teymur Əhmədov, editor-in-chief of "Republic" newspaper
- Gülxar Həsənova, famous Azerbaijani and Soviet actress
- Zülfiqar Abdullayev, statesman and politician
- Davud Hajiyev, rector of Ganja State University
- Mübariz Qurbanlı, deputy chief of Yeni Azerbaijan Party.
- Tajaddin Mehdiyev, former Minister of Defense of Azerbaijan
- Oruj Musayev, held managerial positions at the Ministry of Education of Azerbaijan Republic
- Paşa Qəlbinur, poet and dean of the Azerbaijan State Medical University
Shamkir Rayon Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.