Soul Music (TV series) facts for kids
Quick facts for kidsSoul Music
|Genre||Fantasy, comedy, animation|
|Created by||Terry Pratchett
|Developed by||Acorn Media|
|Directed by||Jean Flynn|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Running time||159 min (7 episodes approx 23 min each)|
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||28 December 1998, 02.15-05.30am|
|Preceded by||Wyrd Sisters and Welcome to the Discworld|
Soul Music is a seven-part animated television adaptation of the 1994 book of the same name by Terry Pratchett, produced by Channel 4 Television Corporation/Cosgrove Hall Films/ITEL/Ventureworld Films and distributed by Channel 4 Television Corporation (1996) (UK) (TV) & Vision Video (2001) (UK) (DVD). It was first broadcast on 28 December 1998 and released on DVD in 2001 alongside Wyrd Sisters in a box set entitled "Soul Music". The feature-length miniseries was developed by Acorn Media, and directed by Jean Flynn. It was the first film adaptation of an entire Discworld novel (following the Welcome to the Discworld short, which was based on a fragment of the novel Reaper Man). The series soundtrack was also released on CD, but the disc is now out of production. The soundtrack is, however, now available through iTunes. Editz did the title sequences, Flix Facilities did the digital picture editing, and Hullabaloo Studios did the audio post-production.
The film's tagline is: "A story of reality, fantasy and the bits in the middle".
The series closely follows the plot of the novel, which, like many of Pratchett's novels, introduces an element of modern society into the magical and vaguely late medieval / early modern world of the Disc - in this case rock and roll music and stardom - with nearly disastrous consequences. It also introduces Susan Sto Helit, daughter of Mort and Ysabell and granddaughter of Death.
- Andy Hockley - Imp y Celyn
- Debra Gillett - Susan Sto Helit
- Christopher Lee - Death
- Graham Crowden - Mustrum Ridcully
- Neil Morrissey - Mort
- Bernard Wrigley - Asphalt
- Rob Rackstraw - Glod Glodsson, The Librarian
- George Harris - Lias Bluestone
- John Jardine - Impy's Dad
- Brian Pringle - Albert
- Rosalie Scase - Owner of Music Shop
- Melissa Sinden - Ysabell
- Jimmy Hibbert - Additional Voices
- David Holt - Mr. Clete
- Maggie Fox - Ms. Butts
Differences from the book
- Vetinari, Arnold Sideways, Lady Sara, Lady Delacross and Cumbling Michael were omitted, and Princess Jade and Gloria Thogsdaughter were reduced to brief cameos.
- Susan's two meetings with Quoth and the Death of Rats were combined into one scene.
Soul Music (TV series) Facts for Kids. Kiddle Encyclopedia.